Sunday, September 30, 2007

Fun Times in Delafield - NOT!!


I think nearly everything about this day was meant to test me - one surprise after the next. I was awake at 3:30am, suffering from insomnia and wishing I could sleep just a little......bit....longer. But noooooo. Steve was kind enough to travel with me to Delafield, WI today for a 'cross race at Lapham Peak State Park about 20ish miles west of Milwaukee. Imagine my surprise when we were informed by the very nice park ranger that we had to pay $14 just to get into the park. Sheesh. I reluctantly coughed up the cash and we parked. Yet another fine suprise when I went to register - start times had been changed (moved later) so I ended up having to sit around, kill time and let the pre-race anxiety build.


The weather was rather warm (in the 80s) and conditions on the course were dusty but fast. While doing pre-race course inspection some poor guy bit it hard in front of me and I inevitably followed him down into the weeds. Nice. I got Jones'd. Another fine bruise for my growing collection. I have to say that I've never had the occasion to do a 'cross race on a mountain bike course before today. Again, nice. It was 2 miles of grass with a narrow dirt trench in the middle that snaked around the park. I couldn't decide whether to ride on the grass or in the trench as it had a way of grabbing the front tire and dragging you down to meet the earth if you twitched an inch to the left or right. There were three sets of 2 barriers and for some reason the race organizer/course designer felt the need to put the barriers at the tops of hills. No momentum, no speed, slow barrier crossings. Not terribly fun at all.


Everything started well enough. We stood around at the start line for a good 20 minutes (as the warm-up disappeared) before finally being released for 45min of fantastic fun. Kenda was represented by Kristin, Monique, Susan and myself. I think there were about 10 women on the line. I got the hole shot off the line and basically blew up about halfway through the lap, watching as 3 or 4 riders passed me. That was humiliating. I definitely went out much too hard and payed the price. After about the third of 6 laps I was able to establish some sort of rhythym, started taking the trench route, quit riding on the grass and actually pass a few people. At the bitter end of things I was able to scratch my way to 3rd place, approximately 40 seconds off the lead, according to Steve who was providing time splits (which I really had no desire to hear). Congrats to my teammates - Kristin won and Mo and Susan weren't far behind me. Way to go, ladies!


Not a very good day but I suppose it could have been worse. Thanks to Steve for accompanying me on this epic day. Thanks to Greg, Michael and Thomas for taking time to swing by and say hello. Up next is a lovely office park criterium in the 'burbs and then another trip down to Cincinnati for two days of UCI 'cross racing. I have a bit of work to do before then....