Sunday, August 9, 2009

40K of Hate in Wisconsin - and Goodbye

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD!

Whew - I was happy to escape this morning's 40K Double Bong TT with a sub-hour time. It wasn't under by much - and it was very unpleasant! Winds were pretty heinous and temps were in the 90s with killer humidity. I suffered and was blown around a lot. 40K is a difficult distance for me and my goal was to just break the hour, so I accomplished what I'd set out to do. I had the presence of mind to take a bottle of Gatorade along and ended up drinking all of it - because I needed to. It felt as though I was melting (cooking?) out there in the intensity of the day - the wind was equally hot and oppressive. I was very happy to get off my bike.

MetLifeGuy was insane enough to actually do TWO rides. Yeah. 80K of enormous fun. The Double Double Bong. And he ended up winning both the P1/2 and 50+ men's categories. The guy's a monster. So impressive - nice work Mike! Krystian was also in Wisconsin representing for PACT and had a strong 3rd place finish in (I believe) the 30+ category.

I can confidently say that the doing the TT was the right choice for me today - I had the option to do the Glencoe Grand Prix (a race I LOVE) but settled on the time trial instead. I'm preparing to defend my state time trial championship so it was the wise move. My criterium racing has been pretty good and my short term power numbers are solid - just in time for criterium nationals in Downers Grove next week.

Congratulations are in order for my coaching client Greg who earned silver in his category in the Wisconsin state TT championships on Saturday. It was held on the same course - just add some rain to the mix. Well done, Greg!

The goodbye....I'm letting go of my Klein mountain bike. It's a beautiful bike and sweet ride that I just do not use. To Gary in Pennsylvania - enjoy it, ride it hard and take care of it!