Sunday, November 18, 2007

SCW Lansing 'Cross Report


So I'm foregoing watching one of the best freak-out flicks ever made (Seven) to post this. Today I did the South Chicago Wheelmen 'Cross race in Lansing, IL. I really had to go, since I grew up in the town next to Lansing and actually was a Lansing resident during a brief, unpleasant episode in my life (and I'm leaving that right there). It was good though, because my parents, my brother Chris and his wife Michelle, the puggle and their friends were able to come out to spectate. It was cold-ish but not intolerably so and the sun was nowhere to be seen.


The course was entirely pancake flat with a sand pit, a single barrier and a set of three barriers. Everything else was pretty much grass with a few short paved sections and some wet leaves to make things interesting. The Women 1/2/3 field was small (6). I had a good warm up and was ready to go at start time, legs were excellent. Things took off fast as usual and I was having no problem staying right on the wheel I wanted, in second position. Problems started when I clipped my toe on the first of the three barriers (how embarrassing - the auto-jones) and hit the ground - hard. My bike was lofted at least 10 feet and everyone passed me. I briefly considered abandoning right there, I was hurting, embarrassed and had a big hole to dig out of. I remounted and proceeded to claw my way back to within 10 seconds of first position but wasn't really able to close the gap after the effort I was forced to do after becoming separated from my bike. I lost a few seconds here and there and ended up finishing second/first loser on the day. Not too bad but second still sucks, I guess. At least I got my entry fee back and did some hard work on the bike. I'd like to give June Upshaw some recognition here too - the girl's been sick for weeks - she fought hard and took third today, nice work, June.



I also have to give recognition to the most amazing, kickass effort put in by Lou Kuhn of the Pony Shop today - he ruled the 30+ race and made it look easy. Nice job Lou! Also not to be overlooked was Mike Trulson riding for 2CC (who works at the Pony) crushing the junior field today, and Mike Jones (MetLifeGuy) again doing 2 races consecutively and finishing in the top 10 in both. The Verdigris guys did a great job and pretty much owned the 40+ race and Imelda was representing Kenda in the Cat 4 race, finishing 4th.


I also need to thank a bunch of people who were present and ever-supportive: Paul, Mike and Mary, my family, Josh, Amy D., Brian, and the Verdigris guys by the sand pit. I'm sure there were more and I just can't think of who right now so if you were there, I heard your cheers and thanks. Hopefully there will be some decent photos - I'll post them later, when they become available.


Right now, I have to spend some quality time with a bag of ice. Coming up, UCI Jingle Cross Rock in Iowa City next weekend....