Saturday, September 12, 2009

IL Road Race Championship

The finish - thanks for the pic, Luke!!
I knew from the outset that things would be tough at today's IL state road race championship in Willow Springs - small field, lots of bike poker, a difficult to plan uphill sprint finish, etc. The course itself was not difficult - a three-step hill to the finish but otherwise flat to falsely flat for the remainder of the 10 mile loop. Pavement surfaces were pretty much perfect (thank you TARP funds) save a few small, well-marked potholes. On tap for the day was 5 laps - I paid a lot to race today and definitely wanted to do all 50 miles (get my money's worth). I was happy that the officials did not shorten our race due to small turnout and that the promoter was paying the prize list as published.

I knew that I had my work cut out for me with an ABD rider and 2 BH teammates to contend with. Small fields can often make for negative racing so I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. Things rolled off well enough and about 4 miles or so after going through the start/finish for the first time, Kristen from BH had a flat. I wasn't quite sure what to do - keep rolling and ride solo for nearly 50 miles? Ugh. Didn't really want to do that but that's exactly what happened. It's a race after all, right? I basically settled in, focused, and watched my power meter/speedo for the next 2+ hours as I rode alone behind the pace car. I had no idea what was going on behind me. Turns out (I think) Anne gave Kristen her wheel and Kristen chased but she wasn't able to close the gap alone. I thought for sure I'd be caught - it was still a long way to the finish.

I crossed the line solo, no one else in the picture. In a way, it wasn't a very gratifying way to win. It's a bummer when someone you respect as a racer is taken out of the action by an unfortunate mishap or a mechanical problem. On the other hand, I've had plenty of mishap-curtailed races of my own over the years and trust me, I busted my ass out there to take the win today.

Up next - maybe a time trial next Saturday and a crit in Kenosha or the first cyclocross race of the season at Jackson Park on Sunday. Cross season will be pretty mellow for me - local stuff. I'll be representing for Roscoe Village Bikes and am looking forward to the change of pace that 'cross provides. Track is over for the year - I had a pretty successful season, managing to finish 2nd in the Rider of the Year competition and taking state titles in the keirin, points race and the pursuit.

What I'm reading: 'One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest' by Ken Kesey. In a word - masterful. I'm loving it - I'm finding it difficult to put it down!