Sunday, November 29, 2009

El Bandido Finale

I've been pretty burned out on the regular group ride and wet weather of late so the opportunity to do some bandit cross over the long weekend was pretty appealing. I was stuck working on Friday but made it out to the 'burbs for rounds 2 and 3 of the Bandido Finale. NOTE: If you are squeamish about humorous misogyny, don't follow that link...and realize that no one really cares how you finish. It's the fun we have along the way that makes it what it is.


I was bummed to miss round 1 but there was plenty of mud, obstacle jumping, mud, wet grass, mud, quality handups, mud and all the other fun stuff that 'cross is on days 2 and 3 (did I mention the mud?).


Day 2 was someplace out near Bartlett, the same place as day 1 but the course was run in reverse. Part of it was an equestrian competition site which made for some interesting obstacle hopping... There were parts of trees laid sideways four feet high - no, we didn't have to jump those. But we did have to jump over some triangular thingy that required me to actually hop on top of it first then leap over (with the bike). Then there was 'the trench' that had to be about 2.5ft wide and the drop off that was probably between 2-3ft down. Oh, and after that the mud started. I was happy at the end to have survived without falling off my bike, adding to my bruise collection or being lapped by the likes of Boundy and Mr. Pink. The added bonus? Andy Kerr appeared on his vintage mountain bike to say hi - SO great to see you Andy!!



Sunday's course at Poplar Creek Woods was completely different - mostly very wet grass, some muddy sections, a couple barriers, a small stretch of pavement, no sun and a fair amount of wind. Sunday was especially awesome because it was the final Bandido for the year - and there were hand-ups everywhere.

Somehow I managed to not be lapped by the always super strong Mr. Pink, seen here accepting a hand-up from one of the pushers.

When all was finished I'd scored three 6pk boxes of GU, a dozen individual Chomps and GUs and (wait for it) a 2lb cannister of GU2O. Where did I put said hand-ups during the race? Why, in the front of my too big skinsuit of course!! It was so full that my knees were knocking into it all when I pedaled. The best part of the whole race? I still finished on the lead lap even though I stopped at least twice every lap to snag some schwag - we were required to keep whatever we took.

Thanks so much to Rich for all his organizing and course design efforts all season - and all the hand ups!! BC has been the ideal thing for my road-hating head since the weather went south. Over the winter I'll definitely miss the 'racing' itself but even more I'll miss the group of racers that show up to get dirty, work hard and have fun for 45 minutes. Thanks to all of you for your positive attitudes and energy - always so great to be around y'all.