Sunday, November 16, 2008

Lansing 'Cross Recap - Brrrrrrrr Shiver Shiver

Over the barriers.
photo courtesy of PF
Through the sand pit.
photo courtesy of PF

I needed to have a flame lit under my ass to race this weekend in Lansing. Today was the third time that I have so much as even touched my cross bike this year. It definitely helped that Lou at the Pony spiced up my bike with some new white bar tape and a white saddle. I think the last 'cross race I did was about a month ago. I figured maybe it'd be nice to suit up for the Lansing race, seeing as how I grew up five minutes from the course and actually lived in Lansing for a short time during the dark chapter in my life known as 'The Engagement to Bob.' Sure dodged a bullet on that one.

Weather forecasts were calling for 30 degree temps and snow the past few days so I was totally on the fence until I awakened to see that the ground was dry with a morning temp of 28 degrees. No doubt it was going to be a day for Super Strength Greyhound Juice. Have I ever mentioned the fact that I intensely dislike racing in very cold weather? Yeah - hard to believe isn't it? Freezing coldness makes everything seem slower and more painful to me. I pre-rode the course very easy and then basically found someplace warm to hang out until go time and so never really warmed up, per se, prior to starting. I had to wear a bunch of layers under my skinsuit and felt like the Michelin Man.

The Lansing course is 100% pancake flat, 97% of which is grass with some very short pavement sections and a long sand pit. This year it was set up with a lot of twisty grass stuff, a few barriers and two pavement round-abouts. It didn't really suit me - I'm better on wide-open courses that don't require lots of speed changes. There were about a dozen 1/2/3 women on the start with June and I representing for Verdigris. June is leading the Chicago Cross Cup series and so my main objective was to make sure that she got as many points as possible today. I wasn't paying attention when the gun was fired so I was nowhere near getting the hole shot as we rolled off the start. I essentially settled into second position about 30 seconds into the race. My legwarmers kept falling down which was pretty annoying - they're really old and the grippers are shot.

Without a decent warm-up it took me about three laps to settle into some kind of groove where I could stay until the end. I played it cautious and ran the sand pit almost every time. It was actually faster that way. The twisty grass section was killer - it was intermittently into the wind and just seemed to suck the life out of everyone. June hung pretty close for a long time and I kept yelling at her, 'get up here!!' I was planning to literally stop before the finish line on the last lap so she could get the coveted finishing points but the cat 3 men came through us at the finish, so they ended our race on the same lap. Bummer too because I know things at the top of the standings are close. I was happy to be finished - it was a bit of a suffer fest at times as evidenced by the (simultaneously cool yet nasty/gross) copious amounts of spit and snot stuck to the various surfaces of my bike.

Thanks to Mom and Dad for coming out to spectate a bit and to everyone who shouted encouragement along the way - it definitely helped my psyche today to hear your cheers. Congrats to the Verdigris guys who all posted impressive top finishes and also to the Pony Shop boys - well done, gentlemen! Mr. Pink, you are my hero!!

Unless we have some kind of miraculous break in the weather or I have a weak moment it's likely that today was my final 'cross race for the season. But you never know - I might get a wild hair the morning of the Montrose Harbor race in a few weeks and just show up for the heck of it.

What I'm reading at the moment: 'Fraud' by David Rakoff. I just finished 'A Dog in a Hat' by Joe Parkin and before that 'When You are Engulfed in Flames' by David Sedaris - which was hysterical. Not sure what's up next - maybe some classic American literature that I've never read or some Vonnegut. Depends on what I can find at the book store.

That's the story for now - as always, thanks for reading. If any decent pictures from today find their way into my inbox I'll be sure to post them later.