Friday, November 21, 2008

KillerSpin

Some of the SpinHeads - yeah, it's an old picture but none of us are tan anymore...
I don't usually talk about work/what I do for a living. I thoroughly love what I do and the people I work with but it's work, my j-o-b. Interesting to think that my j-o-b time is the 'play time' of those I work with but I guess that's the best way to put it. A long time ago I changed professions and have never looked back. To go back would be to regret and I don't in any way regret the change I made, ever. Leaving a successful career in healthcare administration was one of the very best things I've ever done. I've never missed it since walking away - not a single day.

So what, right? It's odd but lately I've been fielding a bunch of thank-you emails from people who regularly participate in the classes I teach and those I work with individually. This has caused me to stop and think more about exactly what it is that I do and why. Sure, there are days where I just don't want to get out from under the covers but I always do because every last day I have the chance to interact with some of the most amazing and cool people I've ever met. Most of them are so much more than just 'clients' but instead true friends who I am thankful to have in my life. They give meaning to my work, provide much-needed insight, help keep me grounded and keep me sane. So as much as they thank me, I have to thank them as well because without them I could still be stuck in my hospital office, despising every second of it.

This morning was a case in point - bloody freezing coldness in Chicago (17 degrees at commute time) and a bunch of people showed up to spin class at the butt-crack of dawn and worked their asses off. It's simply sublime to look around a classroom full of riders pouring their heart and soul into the challenge I set before them - extending the boundaries of their discomfort and discovering something about themselves along the way. And that goes for more than just today - it's every day. It just happens that it all really hit home with me today. It was freakin' killer, in every way and that's the kind of thing that provides me with a reason to get up every day.

Here's the playlist from this morning - lots of sweat and mental tenacity in todays' intervals...

How Soon is Now - The Smiths
Blow Up the Outside World - Soundgarden
Bite the Hand that Feeds - Nine Inch Nails
The Perfect Drug - Trent Reznor
Chains of Love - The Dirtbombs
VooDoo - Godsmack
Session - Linkin Park
Every Day is Exactly the Same - Nine Inch Nails
Uptown Girl - Me First and the Gimme Gimmes
Breathe - The Prodigy
Transmission - The Tea Party

That's enough of the sappy, emotional crap (ick). No racing this weekend, just some group ride stuff - it's so much easier to suffer and freeze with good company! Something else that's pretty cool - my picture is in Chicago Athlete magazine in the center of page 24 for the November/December issue. If you click through to their website you can view the issue online. That's all for now - thanks for reading!