Monday, April 6, 2009

The Replacement, Tunes and Hostility


After busting my Zipp 404 a couple weekends ago, Lou rebuilt my wireless Power Tap hub into an Edge 68mm carbon clincher wheel. Because the weather continues to *suck* I haven't had a chance to ride it yet - hopefully this week, after the snow and residual slop have vanished. You know it's bad when the White Sox postpone the season's home opener due to the possibility of snow. I love baseball but it just doesn't feel anything at all like baseball season yet - that means I should be able to snag some cheap tickets before things warm up too much!

Tuesday's playlist (very random!!):
What It's Like - Everlast
My Sacrifice - Creed
Rich Woman - Robert Plant and Allison Krause
Lithium - Nirvana
Good Times, Bad Times - Led Zeppelin
Plush - Stone Temple Pilots
The Hardest Button to Button - The White Stripes
Communication Breakdown - Led Zeppelin
Famous - Puddle of Mudd
I Don't Know - Ozzy Osbourne
That's the Way - Led Zeppelin

In class lately we've been talking about the fact that there's tons of angry, hostile, pissed-off people in the world right now. Seems to me that it tends to carry over especially into people's driving - I've been a party to numerous displays of aggressive, selfish impatience while talking on the phone of late and it just seems to keep getting worse. For a lot of the people who attend class those 60min are sometimes the best part of their day - so we've been using that environment to sort of 'release' and let go of all the anger and hostility in a positive and productive way. It seems to be working - when I have someone say to me, 'I work for AIG and this class is the one thing that has been getting me through the day lately' it speaks volumes about how powerful and positive the whole 'submit' philosophy can be. We can't make angry, anxious people nicer or more patient but we can indeed change how we react to them and their negativity - if only for 60min a few times a week.

OK, now I'm done being philosophical.

This past weekend was lame - the time trial I was scheduled to do on Sunday was cancelled due to poor weather conditions. It ended up not being terribly hateful and we actually managed to get in a decent ride (though we did encounter a little sleet along the way). Seriously, the race should not have been rescheduled - the weather sucked but I've raced and trained in worse. There was also a road race on Saturday that I tend to not do for a lot of reasons, the least of which is the fact that it's a 4hr drive each way for two hours of racing on bad pavement in killer winds. Heck, I can do that without driving anywhere! I'm not too bummed about missing out - there is plenty of good racing to be done in better weather soon enough.

What I'm reading, 'The Soloist' by Steve Lopez - an interesting firsthand account of an LA Times columnist's relationship with a Juilliard-trained homeless paranoid schizophrenic bassist/cellist/violinist. It's a true story and a compelling read so far.