Friday, February 19, 2010

Not. Gonna. Happen.

More and more every day I find myself lusting for a new bike. I've been on the same (very nice) SRAM equipped Blue RC-7 for 3 years and well, it's tired and I'm ready for something new. It's totally great having a wheel sponsor but I'd really really really - really - like a new frameset and gruppo. Of course I've spent some time drooling over all the fine looking bling in the various online and print publications and after careful consideration I think I want another Blue. Their bikes fit me well, handle nicely, are decent looking and afford an owner good value - if you actually have any money to make a purchase, which I do not because well, this economy sucks. Then again, I'd ride most anything right now if the price were right!

A consequence of no longer being part of a formal supported team situation is that 'at cost' and below retail pricing (or free - I remember those days too) is just not an option for me. So much of my race budget is earmarked for travel and race entry expense that I simply can't justify paying full price for a new bike. Not to mention that it seems the price of new bikes has EXPLODED of late. The level of equipment I demand seems to begin in the $5000 range for a complete bike. Not to mention that framesets start around $3000. That is insane!!! I don't need a complete bike - just a frameset and gruppo. I can come up with the rest, somehow.

So I'm open to fundraising suggestions. Calendars? Candy bars? Establish my own charity (of which I am the sole benefactor)? Beg and shake an empty cup on the Jackson Blvd. bridge every morning? Suck it up and save my loose change for ten years? Shovel snow? Mow lawns? Dog walking? Car wash? Or better yet, bike wash? I already work enough so that's not going to change.

As much as I like being a solo act, it does have it's bad points. I've manged to secure some individual sponsorship for a few things but a new bike still evades me. Missing out on some of the perks I had back in the day is sort of a bummer and my middle child tendencies hold me back when it comes to asking for anything. Sigh.

What I've been reading on my nook (Coolest. Toy. Evar.): 'Bram Stoker's Dracula' which was surprisingly great! I'm about 1/3 through 'Atlas Shrugged' by Ayn Rand and loving it. Up next is 'Shutter Island' by Dennis Lehane - it seemed like a wise choice to read something mindless after I finish the very heavy and long 'Atlas.'

Other than that, still grinding it out every day in the freezing coldness. My goal was to keep the total number of indoor training days to 10 or less and I'm happy to report that it stands at 3 right now. Daylight savings starts in less than 4 weeks so I'm pretty sure I'll make it. Aside from that 8 inches of snow we got hammered with last week (which has since melted a lot) we've had a decent winter here, as far as Chicago winter goes. Still getting 18-22hr of saddle time in every week, sometimes more. I'm pleased with that!