Thursday, July 19, 2007

Superweek...Shorewood Criterium Report


The Shorewood course is actually pretty long and boring except for the bumpiest pavement on the face of the planet between turns one and two. I can't tell you how many times butts left saddles going over the bumps on that stretch of road today! It's otherwise a pretty straightforward course - mostly flat with a chicane between turns three and four with a LONG sprint to the finish (at least 400m... - that's waaaay long). Did I mention that there were various potholes and recessed sewer grids in the middle of the chicane? Oh, there were.... I think the course's best feature was the guy beating on the bucket with wooden spoons between turns one and two...gotta love those cheeseheads!

I think they called primes on 22 of the 29 laps we did today which kept the speed high and the movement at the front of the group pretty crazy. I stuck to my plan of staying protected from the wind and getting good position for the sprint. There were a few small break away attempts along the way - the most impressive being from my friend Jen Rasmussen from the East Coast racing for HPC/List. Jen was away for nearly 3 laps when she was finally brought in - she's exceptionally strong and one of these days she will attack and stay off the front for a huge win. Anyway, coming out of the final turn I was a little too far back but was able to pick up a bunch of positions to finish in 4th today - sorted out by the camera. I'm satisfied with the effort and after a day of rest I hope to continue the top 10 streak into Waukesha and Evanston.

Now, it's time for some Biofreeze (many thanks to CJ...) and some catching up on what happened at the British Open today...I LOVE golf, in case you didn't know!