Wednesday, June 11, 2008

NVGP Day 1: Crash Crash Boom Boom!!

Today began the 5-day 6-stage Nature Valley Grand Prix with the St. Paul lowertown criterium. The course was an approximately .6mi L-shaped 6-turn loop with a slight downhill grade on one side, slightly uphill on the other. We've assembled a strong team for this event - Jackie C, Kristin, Yukie, Andrea, Kat, Jessi, Lori and I are all here to mix it up with the big girls. I love technical criteriums - it is probably what I am best at as a racer so I was pretty excited to get this whole stage racing thing off to a good start...then the weather intervened. There had been a lot of severe storms in the area the entire day and early on there were discussions at race HQ that the event would be canceled. We arrived at the race venue prepared to race or not - we had to be ready no matter what the officials decided.

It was almost comical to be witness to the steady rain interrupted from time to time by an occasional deluge as we warmed up in a sheltered area not far from the start. Massive amounts of water were running down the streets searching for an area to drain at start time and yes - it was pouring on us as we rolled off. The race had been shortened from 40 laps to 30 but it really didn't matter - the field was blown apart early and the wrecks began in earnest on the first lap in turn 2. I had the privilege of meeting with the pavement on three separate occasions (the dreaded auto-jones), the last of which found me chasing to get back onto the main group with 3 laps to go (the wheel pits were closed at that point).

Reports coming in last night were confirmed this morning that due to the inclement conditions, the stage was neutralized and will not be considered in the overall GC. No sprint or QOH points were awarded and today's road race that begins and ends in Cannon Falls will be stage 1. Probably a good thing since only a third of the field was left at the bitter end of last evening's crit and some of the partial released results were incorrect. There were a lot of photographers on the course so I'm sure there is plenty of fine footage to be found on cyclingnews, velonews and the various other outlets that are covering this event.

After a fitful night that saw me sleep very little I took a "self inventory" this morning. Overall, I feel like I was hit by a truck. My entire left ass cheek is a growing contusion and I have some other little random areas of bruising on my elbow, calf and ankle but no road rash - I just slid 10-15 feet or so on the pavement each time I went down. I guess that's a bonus, in a sick sort of way. Oh yeah - most disappointing and traumatic of all - I also broke a nail. Don't worry Mom and Dad, I'm fine - nothing a little ice and some ibuprofin can't handle.

Word this morning from Mike (our mechanic - I'll call him Wakes from now on) is that aside from pulling an enormous hunk of glass out of my rear tire, my bike is totally fine. I live to fight another day!! We head to Cannon Falls this afternoon for a road race - I'll post afterward...right now I have to drink some more coffee and enjoy what will probably prove to be my last extended bit of rest for the week.