Tuesday, June 17, 2008

NVGP Day 4: Mankato Road Race


Brooke and Wakes, 2/3 of our fantastic support staff. Thanks so much for everything - you guys are the bomb!!

Saturday morning came long before I ever wanted it to and we rolled out to the race venue still tired from last night. I have no idea how Wakes, Brooke, and Paul are managing to do such a fantastic job of supporting us on so little sleep! I can't thank them enough for all the help they provide at stage races - cleaning, tuning and repairing bikes, loading and unloading the car, getting us wired with radios before races, feeding us during races, driving in the caravan and keeping us all apprised of what is happening in places we can't see, roadside service during races, attending meetings, planning travel logistics, taking care of everyone post-race...it's insane. I can't say exactly why they do it (gratis, no less) but I know they love bike racing, they believe in us and in what we are doing. So, thanks you guys - for everything.

Back to Mankato...what can I say? 91 miles made a bit more tolerable for me by Wakes who played some Frank Sinatra, Cream and Jimi Hendrix on the race radio - oh yeah...nothing like grinding up a hill with Voodoo Child or Sunshine of Your Love blasting through your earbud. Conditions were sunny and hot, some nice windy exposed stuff, lots of fine 'organic' smelling farms, a few wrecks and tons of twitchy wheels, a steep as hell hill at the end and my feet - literally burning inside my shoes starting at mile 20. By mile 70 I could no longer tolerate the intense pain, even after removing my feet from my shoes and riding with them on top, triathlete/dork style for a mile or so. I waited for the car, sat down on the side of the road and wept as Brooke poured water over my blistered feet. I was having an excellent race - I was feeling confident as we approached the final stretch into town, killer hill and all. I have to suspect that my steel cleats had something to do with transferring heat from the baking pavement up to my feet, causing the problem. Due to the DNF, I was unable to start the final stage the next day in Stillwater (big bummer there....). By this point, a few days later, I've finally finished pulling off all of the loose skin and am healing nicely.

Kristin and Jackie both did a great job at Stillwater the next day - not a very nice course at all. It has a block long stretch that averages something like 20%. Standing at the bottom you actually can't really see the top - and that's just one of the climbs...there's another one around the corner that's pretty killer too. Seeing as how I am allergic to climbing, it was nice for me to sit on top of the RV with Ed and cheer on Kristin and Jackie as they represented in fine fashion. Well done ladies - maybe someday you can teach me how to love climbing as much as you do.

Travel home was tedious as the interstate was closed due to flooding near Wisconsin Dells, necessitating a long detour and lots of time creeping along on side roads. My back still hurts from being crunched up in the car for so long!

I'm finally feeling good today, after a couple days' rest and a spirited group ride with the boys last night. Up next, a local TT, some specific training and then off to Louisville for Masters Nationals. As always, thanks for reading and for your comments - I do appreciate it.