Thursday, June 12, 2008

NVGP Day 2 - Cannon Falls RR

We had near perfect weather for today's 66 mile road race that began and ended in Cannon Falls. Temps were in the mid to upper 70s with lots of sun, a few clouds and a fair amount of wind. The course was mainly rolling with a few short climbs - a significant one at about 3 miles in that was an opportunity for queen of the hill (QOH) points. Admittedly I was worried as hell about that first climb and I suffered like a dog for the first 10 miles or so - bad enough that I wanted to crawl back into the car.

There were a few little wrecks here and there that I got stuck behind but fortunately none of us got sucked into any of them. I was feeling a little tired after 50mi or so but fortunately my legs came around and I was in good shape going into the half mile long gravel/dirt stretch and killer bumpy downhill section leading to the final circuit where we did 5 laps. I got sort of pinched going into that part and lost some position so I just drilled it and bombed the dirt stretch then rode the right side gutter (with cascading water and potholes) down the hill to the right hand turn - flats and crashes be damned!! My thought at that very second? God, it's like cyclocross...ick. It worked - thankfully or I would've looked like an idiot - and I was on the circuit with the lead group, feeling great. Going into the final sprint we had a downhill off-camber left with about 1K to the line. Someone went down in that turn so we had to take evasive action to get by. At the line I was in 20th - I was very pleased with that, given that I was contemplating having a rough go of things early on and the fact that we started with something like 145 on the line. That's a lot of bikes to fight through!

Everyone got in safely so we all lived to fight another day. That's more than I can say for my power meter...I lost the cpu somewhere along the way so I have to fly commando the rest of the week. I think there are some photos posted on cyclingnews.com - we were lucky enough to have one of the photo guys riding in our caravan car and he snapped some good race shots.