Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Runners - aka: Speedbumps

I love runners....especially the really clueless ones who step right in front of you during an LT interval at 25mph and you plow them over at full speed. This, of course, after you've done your duty as a good cyclist to warn them that you are fast approaching "on your left!" WTF? Yep - I did that very thing this morning on the lakefront path. Fortunately she was the only one to hit the pavement. I had to clip out but pretty much just got back in the saddle and continued on after telling her, "there's a reason for the line in the middle of the path." She took exception to that and let out a pretty impressive string of expletives (which confirmed that she was okay) so I rode on, laughing all the way. Lots of hostility going on there, I'd say. Or, she was just embarrassed. I seem to recall seeing tire marks on her leg.

I've been under the weather the last few days so I've been trying to rest and get better as Nature Valley Grand Prix approaches. NVGP is a very important race for our team and we've gotten a super strong group together for the 5 day 6 stage event in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area. This weekend I'll be helping out the Wisco girls at their state road race championship on Sunday before heading to NVGP next Tuesday.

What I've been reading lately: Choke by Chuck Palahniuk (who wrote Fight Club). Great, twisted, sickly demented funny stuff. Also: Where Does the Money Go? by Scott Bittle and Jean Johnson - a guided tour to the federal budget crisis (gotta read something intellectually challenging once in a while). Further: I finished High Crimes by Michael Kodas last week. It's an interesting look at the commercialization and lawlessness that plague the Mt. Everest climbing community.

Oooops - almost forgot to mention that Trudy, my old Kenda teammate from Australia is in town with her husband. We had a great visit last week before she and Herve headed to Urbana-Champaign to spend some time with friends down that way. It was so great to see her - I miss her and racing with her a great deal.

That's about all for now - it's been a pretty unremarkable week but I plan to race at the track this Thursday, so I'll post if anything interesting happens. As always, thanks for reading!