Thursday, January 29, 2009

Johnny and Other Errata

Johnny 'I don't do tape' at the Pony

I'm tired of whining about the weather around here so until I say it's good, assume that it sucks and we'll take it from there. My set of home rollers has a bad bearing and is obnoxiously loud - so loud that if I turn my TV all the way up (to 100), I still can't hear it over roller, bike and fan noise. To stay on good terms with my neighbors (even those who live across the street) I have been reduced to listening to music while training at home. That's just fine with me - I can tolerate 3+ hours at a time on the rollers if the tunes are good and I have fierce melon Gatorade.

So Greg, the coolest co-worker I have ever had, gave me all of his vintage Metallica. I killed more than 2.5hr on the rollers yesterday and never heard the same song twice. I won't list them all here but the albums ...And Justice for All, Kill 'Em All, Ride the Lightning, Garage, Inc., Load, Reload, St. Anger and the new one, Death Magnetic were all in the queue. It was a most excellent indoor session. In addition to the Metallica he included some Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Y&T (remember those guys?), Queensryche, Pantera and Anthrax. No, I am not a closet headbanger. I openly embrace hard/heavy metal music. Love it. Always have. It's that Chicago Southside upbringing of mine. Additionally, Greg provided the one Kings of Leon album that my collection lacked. Love those guys - they are fast becoming one of my favorites.

Here's Friday morning's soundtrack:

Welcome Home (Sanitarium) - Metallica
Control - Puddle of Mudd
Blitzkreig - Metallica
Girls Got Rhythm - AC/DC
WTFF - Living Color
Run to the Hills - Iron Maiden
Girls - Beastie Boys
Looks That Kill - Motley Crue
Tush - ZZ Top
Fake It - Seether
Breakin' the Law - Judas Priest
I Don't Know - Ozzy Osbourne
Fade - Stain'd


Today was decent enough to get in some outdoor mileage on the 'cross bike with MetLifeGuy. We started downtown and made it up to Highland Park then back to Evanston for some coffee before it got too dark. The ride back to the dirty city (about 12mi for me) was pretty cold but it felt good to get out and open up the legs a bit longer than just for the daily commute. My poor bike is caked with road salt and grime so my bike cleaning boy is going to be on the hook tomorrow.

Some good things coming up - the Cervelo should be coming home this weekend and our new team kits have come in so hopefully I'll retrieve that stuff too. Best wishes to all the guys for a strong performance at the indoor TT on Sunday - I'll be thinking of you!