Sunday, June 21, 2009

Allvoi Cup #1

Dan, Cory (work it!), and Jim before the 4K team pursuit.

I've been having bike hate/the big suck for the past week so I took some easy days. I felt good Saturday morning so I headed to Northbrook Velodrome for a day of suffering also known as the Allvoi Cup. It's the first year for this event that includes a scratch race, some short TT's as well as individual and team pursuit stuff. I haven't done any type of pursuit specific training but I figured it was a better option than driving really far for a crit. I was torn about doing the America's Dairyland series - supposedly good racing - but the time, money and energy it would require this close to nationals made it an unappealing option.

PACT dudes (and one stand-in) on the Team Pursuit start

The women's turnout was especially small but the nature of pursuiting and the 500m TT is such that you suffer anyway - it's just up to you how much. I'd completed my pursuit bike set up the evening before with some electrical tape and a Hello Kitty band-aid. Seriously. When I went to the start for my 2K pursuit, Jim was kind enough to carry my bike over - his comment about the absence of pads on my aero-bar armrests: 'you're not really going to ride it like that, are you?' I just smiled and proceeded to ride my guts out to a respectable time, all things considered.

In the 500m TT I learned that I'm riding a gear that's MUCH too big which lent itself to a very sluggish start - but I managed the win, albeit much closer than it should have been. Later we did a scratch race to finish the day (for me anyway) and after a well-timed attack I stayed away for the last 3 laps or so for the win.

The dudes, keeping it tight out of turn 4.

Jim informed me that the appropriate way to refer to them (the boys) at the track is 'dudes.' So there you have it. Jim, Dan and Cory all did a great job representing for PACT - all had impressive individual strong finishes and the 3rd fastest team pursuit on the day. Hanging out in the team tent with them all day really was a blast - and I learned a lot too. The next Allvoi Cup event is July 18th. Hopefully by that time I will have gotten my pursuit bike together and my 500 TT gear dialed in.

Up next is a 40K TT out in Paw Paw, IL where the wind is oppressive and ubiquitous. 40K is a bit long for my taste at this point so my plan is to ride the first half as I would at nationals, then scale it back a bit on the second 20K. It's the final tune up before nationals and then I head out to Louisville a couple days later for the TT and criterium.

I've started 'Pygmy' and it's great - albeit difficult to read as it is written in deliberately broken English. Also - I have to send 'feel better soon' wishes out to Corie who's anticipating surgery for a bad ankle fracture sustained while mountain biking in Alaska last week. Yikes! Hang in there, dirty girl....