Saturday, June 27, 2009

Thursday Night at NBV and a Sub Hour 40K TT

My sweet little Gandalf killing the ALLVOI stuffed shark, Upchuck

HAPPY 40th STEVE!!!

Thursday was a fantastic weather day which made for an even better evening at Northbrook Velodrome. I wasn't really feeling the track love after riding for a while but Manfred talked me into contesting the 30 lap Amy Tremelling Memorial points race. So I tossed him my twenty bucks, muttered an insult, put on my skinsuit and sat on the trainer while I watched my teammates race in the Pro 1/2 points race.

Dan took a crazy flyer from the line, lapped the field (getting 20 points in the process) and then was unceremoniously dropped a little later (losing the points...). Up til then Mike and Ted stayed with the group then with maybe 15 laps to go Mike went off the front with VQ's Dave Sachs, accumulating enough points along the way to take 5th - it was a very fun race to watch. Nice job Mike! It was after that particular race that we named the shark Upchuck. It just sounded good. Later on Ted took second in the masters scratch race - while Mike and Dan sat back and controlled the pace in the field. It was another great showing for PACT/Dishnetwork at the track.

The women's field for the 30 lap points race was pretty small - I think maybe 10? They rang the prime bell on the second lap and I took off with Francine in tow. We shared the work for the next 28 laps and actually lapped the field, picking up points all the way. With two to go they rang the bell again for a big prime so I accelerated on the back stretch, lost Francine and soloed to first place (no one else in the picture). It was a very satisfying win.

Today I rolled with MetLifeGuy at stupid-early-o'clock to scenic Paw Paw for a 40K time trial - my final race before heading to Louisville for nationals. I felt good warming up and was able to score a sub-hour time (59:44) for the distance. I felt decent the entire ride - there was a fair amount of cross wind and a bit of headwind in some areas on the very rolling course. I was pleased with my effort and it was the fastest women's time on the day. Mike scored the second fastest men's time on his first effort - he's a strong boy. Mike, thank you for your company and congrats on an excellent ride today. Also - a shout out to the WDT/ALLVOI guys. See you in Louisville!

I finished 'Pygmy' (so very sick and twisted - it was great!!) and have started 'Are You Kidding me?' by Rocco Mediate and John Feinstein. It's a very easy, entertaining read. Next up is 'American Lion' by John Meacham about the presidency of Andrew Jackson. Should be a dense, compelling read. I'm looking forward to starting it.