Monday, June 15, 2009

The Big Suck

I think 'The Big Suck' is a meteorological term used to describe persistent, lousy weather patterns. I think it's a good description for my time trial performance of late. Because I have no desire to talk about my first loser finish from yesterday, I'm going to let you know what we did in Spin class this morning and afternoon:

Warm up: Gradual build of intensity followed by a few hard opening kickers
Work: 3X8.5min hill efforts done at threshold. Included in each hill effort: 2X40 pedal stroke accelerations and 2X40 pedal stroke efforts out of the saddle.
2.5min rest and repeat followed by easy spin to cool down

Soundtrack:
What it' s Like - Everlast
One World - The Police
I Will Possess Your Heart (long one) - Death Cab for Cutie
Heroin Girl - Everclear
Nobody Told Me - Puddle of Mudd
Fake It - Seether
Brass Monkey - The Beastie Boys
There There - Radiohead
Vertigo - U2
You've Got to Hide Your Love Away - Eddie Vedder

I need some rest and a few more hard days to prepare for Masters Nationals. The good thing is that the TT course is shorter than last year and suits me perfectly. It's 24K and my 20K TT performances have been outstanding this season so far. The other good thing is that the person who won the jersey ahead of me in 2008 has moved to the 40-44 age group. I may also stick around and do the criterium - my crit racing has also been good (especially my sprint: +900w) so I think I can do well if I race smart (and ride stupid).

Up next: maybe some track racing in Kenosha tomorrow (weather dependent) and then some easy days in prep for the Allvoi Cup at the track on Saturday. Still reading "The Great Mortality" but I'm almost done. Next up is 'Pygmy' by the very sick Chuck Palahniuk. I can't wait to start it.

I have to send a big shout out to one of my favorite Spinheads Dan who had a great performance at the Escape from Alcatraz triathlon last weekend. Also - nice job to Tim Glinski at the Liberty Tri and Beth at the Elkhart Lake Tri (3rd in her age group!!). Nice job everybody!

Thanks for checking in....