Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Bike Poker

It's difficult to win a sprint when someone gets a 1/2 bike length on you from behind within 200m of the line. At least I made it close. Photo: B. Cassidy

Not a whole lot to say about round 2 in Winfield. Damp pavement, small field, early break thanks to a prime (which I snagged) and then me and two others playing bike poker on the last lap. I'd been more than happy for nearly the entire race to tow my two break companions from just before turn 3 all the way to turn 1 from where the two of them split the small remainder of the work. Then on the last lap I was shamelessly isolated in the front, nearly track standing to make it happen. It's hard to win a sprint that way, especially over a darn bumpy surface where a smooth line to the finish was hard to find. So my back wheel skipped me along to a very close first loser finish. Boo. But that's racing and it just comes with the territory. As stated very plainly by Linda Mastrandrea, Paralympic gold medalist (multiple times), "silver sucks." Indeed.

PACT/Dishnetwork had a decent showing on the day with Mike taking 5th in the 50+ race after being off the front solo for a long time. Mariusz, Jim, Dan and Andy also came out for the fun and results can be found here. Well done, gentlemen.

I also need to send a shout out to Leah from the Chainlink who just arrived home after doing the California AIDS ride - she killed the hills and had an awesome ride. Way to go!