Sunday, September 13, 2009

2009 FIAC TTT Nationals

Mike, Tom, Stan and Jim

I think the 4man team trial might be my favorite race of the season - and I don't even touch my bike that day. For the third time I chose to be the 'directeur sportif' for the PACT/DishNetwork 50+ masters team and had a blast doing it. For those of you who don't know, the DS is the person who pretty much spoils the riders all day - pins numbers, inflates tires, fills water bottles, drives the follow vehicle, and basically does whatever the riders need to make the day as stress-free as possible. After being on the receiving end of said treatment for so long, I'm happy to return the favor and I know it's appreciated.
On the start line

This year's team members included 2 PACT guys (Mike and Jim) and two guest riders, Tom Doughty and Stan Watkins - beasts, all of them. I knew that they'd have an impressive ride and be among the top teams on the day. After an hour fog delay, things rolled off the start and the guys settled in for 60K of TT bliss.

Positively machine-like...

Ladies, if you had this view for an hour and twenty minutes, would you complain? Me neither! It was a beautiful day and the guys looked great. Early on we passed by an unfortunate crash in the second turn (hey! those guys aren't even bleeding yet!) and later learned that several others had also gone down in the same place. Fortunately we made it through safely on the way out and coming back.

Post ride - waiting (forever) for the results

It always takes a long time for results to be finalized which allows for ample time to socialize and eat whatever a good DS bakes for her team (brownies and cupcakes, on this occasion). It's also when the ride post-mort happens - always an insightful discussion full of observations and commentary I'm not an audience to while in the car.


Mike, impressing us all with his massive guns. Did I mention there's a lot of post-ride self-deprecation and laughter?

In the end, the guys won their age group and had the third fastest time overall. I was completely impressed with their effort - way to go gentlemen!! For a bunch of self-proclaimed 'old dudes' you're all pretty darn fast!