Monday, September 28, 2009

Fall Fling #1 and #2

Judging by the fine headwind and coldness I endured on this morning's commute, fall has definitely arrived. That said, we had a nice weekend for some road racing and it turned out to be mostly good. The organizer has been kind enough to combine the womens and 50+ masters fields (sorting out results separately) which makes for much better racing - especially when the number of women racing is small.

Saturday's criterium went down pretty well - I ended up finishing 4th in the sprint, first woman. Sunday's road race was less satisfying. As usual, I began to see a bunch of guys I'd not seen all day as the final miles wound down and the sprint was looming. Yep - the very same guys who sit on, chase nothing and think they should just be given carte blanche to the front at the end. In the final sprint I was clearly ahead of the 2nd place woman but was bumped by one of the men which caused me to sit up. The 2nd place woman crossed the line just ahead of me and my protest for interference was basically ignored.

I'm not happy because I was not beaten - I got screwed. If I get beaten fairly, fine - I'll take it and move on. Being unfairy impeded and then having a protest ignored is not cool. What is it they say? Revenge is a dish best served cold? I'm looking forward to next weekend...

MetLifeGuy had a great ride yesterday - he rode away in the beginning of the 4th of 7 laps and stayed away to take a well-deserved win. Nice work, Mike. Other fine performances included a win by Brian Harris (PYOC) yesterday and a strong showing at the USGP in Wisconsin by Mike Wakeley - way to go, guys!

Up next is the Maple Park TT on Saturday and a circuit race Sunday. Hopefully we'll get some slightly warmer temps on the weekend - it'd suck to close the road season with soggy or cold weather.