Tuesday, September 1, 2009

IL State Pursuit Championship


Jim, warming up before the 4K team pursuit.

We nearly froze our asses off last night at the track! It was a special night of IL State Championship racing - events on the schedule were the individual and team pursuits. I only did an individual 3K - no teammates for a team pursuit - but the guys (Jim, Dan, Mike and Ted) did the 4K team event. The pursuit is not a particularly pleasant race - it's basically an all-out, as-hard-as-you-can-go effort. In my case the 3K takes about 4 minutes. The guys did 4K in about 5 minutes.

I'd been under the impression that women had to do 2K. I was bitterly disappointed to find out on the start line that I'd be doing 3K. That additional 1K changes EVERYTHING pacing-wise. But I was there, I paid my entry and just rode it - hard. My start wasn't stellar but things turned out okay. I think the pursuit is by far the most painful, miserable, difficult short effort to do on the bike. I was very happy to be finished when I crossed the line - I had baseball-sized knots in my quads and could hardly pedal fast enough to stay upright. But I was done and my time held up as the best on the evening so I earned the title. Sweet.

The guys had an essentially technically flawless ride and managed to take second - they just weren't quite fast enough. But they looked great - smooth, tight, machine-like. Nice job boys - I wish things had turned out better.

I just finished reading 'Snuff' by Chuck Palahniuk and up next is 'The Rum Diary' by Hunter S. Thompson. Next weekend I will attempt to defend my IL State TT Championship....and get older.