Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Not 'Crossin' Yet

I still have a few weekends of road stuff to do before busting out the 'cross bike. Yes, I've practiced a couple times but I'm stubbornly holding onto the last bits of the road season before shifting focus to 'cross. Last weekend's Verdigris 40K TT and Kenosha Crit were decent - I posted my fastest 40K time ever (as did most everyone else) and managed to win the field sprint for 3rd overall in the masters 50+ men's race at Kenosha. I've been extremely tired and just 'off' lately - not very punchy, sore, tight legs - typical end of season stuff.

Coming up the next two weekends is the ABD Fall Fling. I'm particularly excited to do the road race in Crete. I grew up not far from there and spent lots of time in the early years of my racing career training on the roads in that area. It'll be good to go 'home,' I miss the open, rolling pavement of the far South 'burbs.

I just finished reading 'Deliverance' by James Dickey which I truly enjoyed. Up next is 'The Rum Diary' by Hunter S. Thompson. Not sure what's coming after that - maybe some John Irving or another classic. We'll see what's on the shelves next time I visit the used bookstore.

Best of luck to all the crazy people heading to Wisco this weekend for the Planet Bike 'cross races, especially Wakes. He loves to get dirty and play in the mud - enjoy it, Mike! Can't wait to hear the post-race recap...