Thursday, December 6, 2007

Nine Above




That's the current temp (not the windchill) as I sit here and contemplate what remains of a long season of training and racing the bike after yet another night of epic insomnia. The Illinois cross championship is coming up this weekend and things are looking downright dicey at Montrose Harbor as of last evening - ice, snow, wind, frozen mud, etc. At left is me from 2 years ago doing what proved to be one of the most ridiculous races I've ever done at Montrose. The conditions were far better that day than they are currently so I'm hoping things improve. Below me is a shot of Kristin winning last week's Wisconsin state championships in Hales Corners - doesn't it look like she's having the time of her life?


I fully understand that part of the whole cyclocross experience is racing in bad conditions yet having fun doing it but I have to admit that my strong voices of reason are speaking to me... It may seem to some that I am notoriously fickle when it comes to racing cross in poor weather. To some extent I suppose that's true but after being over to the harbor I have to question the sanity of those who think racing in those conditions can possibly be considered fun (in the traditional sense) for the "prestigous honor" of state champion. Honestly, is it really "racing" to have to ride at 5mph just to avoid falling?

Maybe I just need to HTFU. 44 days 'til San Diego.....