Monday, April 21, 2008

A Minor Rant

I'm pretty certain that most of us are fully aware of the dangers associated with commuting by bike in a city the size of Chicago. Aw hell - I think just plain riding a bike in Chicago is thrill enough sometimes. Anyway, I have to spew a little bile in the general direction of the fine institution known as the Chicago Police Department (CPD). Now I know there are lots of good cops out there (and I don't mean the ones I've dated) but I think there are a lot of jerk-o's out there too.

For instance, while riding on the magnificent stretch of Milwaukee Avenue between Logan Boulevard and DesPlaines (probably about 5-6mi or so) there is a BIKE LANE at all times. Which means the lane is reserved for BIKE TRAFFIC, right? Further, that cars (especially POLICE cars) should not actually stop and park in the lane, right? I'm thinking it's reasonable to assume those things and I suspect that you agree (unless you are a jerk-o cop).

If that's the case (and it IS the case), I can't help but be pissed off about POLICE CARS being parked - simultaneously - on both sides of Milwaukee Avenue blocking the bike lane in both directions four out of the last five times I have commuted to work. I'm bent out of shape mostly because due to their rudeness, I am nearly smashed by cars swerving to avoid hitting the parked police cars. I mean really, WTF?!

I'd been quiet until today when I looked over at the two ample (read: FAT) law enforcement officers standing nearby just talking to each other and said, "nice job guys - it's a freaking bike lane, not a parking space." It was so obvious that they were not in protect and serve mode. Their response? Disbelief that anyone would question their actions. If they'd been wrestling a purse snatcher to the ground or cracking the skull of a drug dealer then cool - park wherever you want. But it was clear that they were just too lazy or too self-important to go find someplace else to park and have their coffee talk.

Cops need to do their job and enforce the fine that was included in the ordinance recently passed by city hall that prohibits parking in the bike lane - one that protects cyclists from danger. Cyclists have every right to be on the road. They should be afforded every protective measure possible to ensure their safety when they adhere to the laws that govern riding a bike on the street. Likewise, jerk-o's who disregard the laws should be appropriately punished, even (and maybe even especially) cops.

Rant completed. Agree or not, thanks for reading.