Sunday, April 13, 2008

Wisconsin. Windy. Cold. Snowing. Windy. Cold. Snowing. Windy. Cold. Snowing.

Josh and Mike, warming up. I was too busy taking pictures and letting the pre-race anxiety build to warm up.

Yep, it was really windy, cold (like 37ish degrees, maybe) and occasionally snowing this morning for the Single Bong 20k TT in Kansasville, Wisconsin. I figured it was an improvement over the frozen and soaking wet nearly 3hr slog I did yesterday so I was pretty stoked. The way I saw it, I'd be training in the bad weather if I'd stayed home so I might as well go race for a blingin' medal. That, and (bonus!) I got to chill with two of my most favorite TT beasts, Josh and Mike.


Josh, going nowhere fast, yet. He asked if the helmet makes his ass look big. I dunno - what do you think? If you have to ask, you probably already know the answer.
I chopped Mike's head off in his solo shot so I'll have to try again next weekend (sorry dude).

I'm still having a bit of lingering sickness but I was feeling much better compared to last week, so I was hoping for a respectable performance this morning. I did actually spend some time warming up on the rollers, listening to some motivational tunes but my legs never really felt good and my power numbers were a little disappointing prior to start time. Things got off to a fast start on the tailwind section of the three turn square-ish course that featured some really small rollers and a gradual rise here and there. I was chased by a dog along the way (I suspect nearly everyone encountered this dog at some point) and passed a few guys before getting pretty much blasted and bounced around by the headwind and cross headwind for the remainder of the ride.

After everything was said and done I wasn't particularly satisfied with my result but given the fact that I'm still a little sick and the conditions just really sucked, I suppose things could have been much worse. Josh and Mike both had a good day on the bike - nice job, guys. Way to represent.

Next up - 30k TT in Cherry Valley, IL next weekend. The long-term forecast is for much better weather but at this point, who knows what will happen? I'm just hoping to ride stronger, learn something and to keep pulling good, positive things out of every performance.

As always, thanks for reading. Now, back to The Masters....Immelman's on fire.