Sunday, October 12, 2008

Dirty Things - Hawthorn Woods 'Cross

My bike was really, really muddy after I finished. I was even more muddy.

I had a weak moment and decided that yes, I am indeed going to race some 'cross this fall. Today was my first stab at the Chicago Cross Cup - the third race of the series held in Hawthorn Woods, not terribly far from the city. It needs to be noted here and now that taking my bike off the hook in my bike room yesterday was the first time I'd so much as touched it since having it overhauled at the Pony Shop more than a month ago. That's right - not a single practice or even a pavement ride. I was rightfully nervous given that I understand the competition at 'cross cup races has been pretty good this year. Honestly, my biggest concern was that I not wreck and hurt myself - self-preservation at it's finest.

I was representing for Verdigris with June on the line with 8 others. The course was actually pretty good and it suited me well. Not sure how long it was but it was mostly flat with lots of grass, some pavement sections, a barrier, an off-camber section that turned into a mud pit (ick), and the premier feature - the sledding hill that we had to climb, descend, jump a barrier then climb and descend again. I was stuck starting in the back since I've accrued no series points which turned out to be a good thing - I was able to sit in for the first lap, ramp up the pace gradually then open a gap at the beginning of the second trip up the sledding hill.

After the second and third laps I settled in and was able to keep an eye on what was happening behind me at various points along the course. June shook off Holly and was sitting 2nd which ended up being how we finished. I even got some inches on truesport.com! The Verdigris men also earned a bunch of top finishes - a great showing for our team today!

Dirty girls post-race (yep - that's mud on June's arm - ick).

I only bit it once when with 2 laps to go an unfortunate Cat 3 guy I'd caught went down in front of me - IN THE MUD. Nice. I was covered - there was mud on my face, on my teeth, in my hair, in my ears....you get the idea. The highlight of it all? I managed to finish the day with all fingernails intact (yes, there was mud under them).

The Pony Shop guys were out tearing it up today too - check out their blog here. Also, Chloe Kuhn got some great shots of the 30+, 40+ and 50+ men's races - see those here. Extra special thanks go out to Roman and Mark who sat on the hill eating pizza and cheering us on through the suffer-fest.

I have to send a 'kick ass dude!' shout to Mike Wakeley who had some great finishes in the Cincinnati area over the weekend. He's really hitting it hard this 'cross season and doing well - way to go Mike!!

What I'm reading right now 'Bluebeard' by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. What I finished, 'Fight Club', 'Fugitives and Refugees' and 'Rant' by Chuck Palahniuk. Up next - dunno!! Maybe some Steinbeck, John Irving or more Vonnegut. As for music, I've been in this jazz mood lately but I'll need to come up with a playlist for next weekend's warm up so I'll post it once I've finished it.