Monday, October 27, 2008

Not Feelin' the 'Cross Love & an Announcement

Seems like there are rogue squirrels (and Canada geese) everywhere lately - but I prefer the killer bunny of Caerbannog
We in the Midwest had the opportunity to race 'cross this past weekend and I let it go. I just wasn't feeling the 'cross love and I was out of embrocation so I did the next best thing: I didn't race and just did the weekend group ride with the boys. It was definitely the correct choice for me. 'Cross is still fun, I just needed a weekend away. I'll be back at it next weekend, after the daylight savings time change and an additional hour of insomnia. I do, however, need to send HUGE congrats out to my Verdigris teammate June who won the women's race and to the Verdigris guys who owned the (very windy) day - Well done, everyone - I'll see you next weekend in St. Charles.

Doing the Judson ride is not altogether devoid of anxiety - there are a lot of strong boys that come out and like to hurt themselves and each other (you know who you are...). I sort of hang on for dear life and hope to make it to the end at times. I feel guilty about not taking lots of pulls at the front but doing so could end my ride early - this ain't a no-drop ride. In fact, I suspect the goal of some is to shell as many guys as possible before we reach Fort Sheridan on Chicago's North Shore (again, you know who you are). Fortunately I am strong enough to survive to that point and can hold my own pretty much from there on but I definitely tend to have some painful moments along the way.

I suppose now would be a good time to make an announcement of sorts regarding my plans for next season on the road. We all know that I am no longer part of Kenda. Being with that team was mostly fun while it lasted but things have changed and I have changed so the parting of ways is definitely a good and positive thing for me and my racing. It becomes exhausting to always be required to live up to the expectations of others on the bike - that can make it anything but fun. Racing was expensive the past few years and I really no longer care to shell out lots of money to do the same races season after season. I will definitely miss my teammates but I've taken some good memories away from the time we spent together.

For 2009 I will be racing for a well-supported local team comprised mainly of masters athletes - really strong ones including national and state champs, a multiple-time world silver medalist, some monster time trialists and all around good people who prefer have fun with racing the bike and having a real life. I am proud, thankful and appreciative for the opportunity to race on the road with PACT- Dishnetwork for 2009. I may opt for composite team representation in some NRC races but most everything else will be for PACT, a place where I am comfortable and feel valued for my strengths as a rider and as a person.

That's about all I have to say for now - isn't it enough? As always, thanks for reading....