Sunday, October 5, 2008

Final Road Event for 2009 - Fall Fling Time Trial

Post-TT cupcakes - yum...guys, are you wearing them or eating them?

I'm sort of a lightweight when it comes to racing in cold weather. I don't mind training in the bitter cold but I really don't enjoy racing when it's cold. My last road event for 2009 was Saturday - a short time trial in Maple Park, IL before I begin cyclocross next weekend. Temps were in the upper 30s in Maple Park when we rolled and fortunately things warmed up to the low 60s by start time. Representing for MetLife/Pony Shop were Josh, myself, Mike, Dan and Ansgar. This was Ansgar's first crack at a TT - he was sitting in 2nd position in the overall for the Fall Fling and needed the points to secure a solid place heading into the final criterium on Sunday.

The TT course was about 9.5mi long and mainly flat with a few turns and two 180 degree turnarounds. Wind was definitely present though not horribly so - headwind on the way out, nice tailwind on the way back. Warm up wasn't great for me but not bad either. Once I got rolling it was difficult to find a decent rhythm with all the turns and turnarounds so I never really felt 'comfortable' out there. When it was all over I ended up first with the fastest women's time on the day. I believe Mike and Josh both nailed top 5 times in the P1/2 and their age groups. Sorry to say that I'm not sure about Dan and Ansgar (I haven't looked at the full results) though I suspect they both managed excellent finishes as well.

It's hard to get my head around the fact that the 2008 road season is over - while there was plenty of racing, travel and training along the way it sure seems to have flown by quickly. There were some little bumps and low spots along the way but on the whole I'm pretty satisfied with how things went for me. I won a couple state championships, had my first top 5 finish in an NRC event, learned how to do a pursuit on the track, and nailed a silver medal in the TT at master's nationals, along with a lot of other good things.

Up next is some cyclocross with my new cross team, Verdigris. I'm really excited to be racing with this group of very talented master's men and women - first race is next weekend and I really need to practice or risk making a fool of myself! Beyond that I will also be riding for a different road team in 2009 though more information to that end is not forthcoming at the moment. It's definitely time for a change of direction and my new team will allow for me to explore some other opportunities on the bike - my way.

I suppose this might be the most important part of this entire post - to all the guys I race and train with, Josh, Ansgar, Ted and especially Mike - thank you. You have no idea how much you have helped me be better, smarter, more patient, more confident and mentally tough (HTFU!!) both on and off the bike. There is no way I would have accomplished so much in 2008 without you.

Go-Go White Sox!!
Sorry Cubs - I guess I was wrong on that one....