Friday, December 5, 2008

NI9E

That would be the air temperature in the big city at commute-o'clock time this morning. No idea what the windchill was. Didn't want to know. It had to be sub zero. I briefly pondered driving into the loop for work this morning and then thought, 'it's only 30min each way. HTFU. You can do it.' When members at the gym ask me how I could possibly ride in such weather my response is always the same: I hate to drive, find and pay for parking my car more than I hate riding in the freezing coldness. It was a near-hateful experience this morning that could only have been worse in the presence of drifting and blowing snow - and that will indeed happen before the end of this winter. The 'cross bike has become the main commuting ride as of this week. Too much debris on the road and the likelihood of skinny tire flats has forced the switch. Changing a flat in single-digit temps? I think not.

It was very cool to ride with a dedicated group of spinheads this morning. Our work was steady and hard with a good playlist:

Dirty Laundry (live) - The Eagles
Walk All Over You - AC/DC
Weapon of Choice - BRMC
Gimme Shelter - The Rolling Stones
Superman - Goldfinger
How We Operate - Gomez
Everlong - Foo Fighters
She Sells Sanctuary - The Cult
rearviewmirror - PJ
Middle of the Road - The Pretenders
Fortune Teller - Robert Plant and Allison Krauss
Drift and Die - Puddle of Mudd
Deep Seat - Swervedriver

It appears to me that the temps are going to rise enough for me to ride outdoors this weekend - probably near 20 and maybe a little higher. I really really do not like indoor training so I'll do whatever it takes to avoid roller time. Sunday is the state cross championship at Montrose Harbor. Again this year I will be spectating and don't plan to be there for very long - football starts at noon and my place on the couch will be calling. Good luck to all the crazy racers who toe the line that day - I'm sure it's gonna be great fun. I'll have my cowbell(s)!!!

What I'm reading: 'Candide' by Voltaire (in English) at the moment but I'm not sure what's coming up next. A trip to the used bookstore this afternoon for sure.

That's about all I have for now - thank you for reading. I might have some (HUGE!) interesting news to share next week so stay tuned....