Monday, May 12, 2008

JMSR Stage 4 - Fayetteville Criterium

The last stage at Joe Martin is a criterium in downtown Fayetteville. The course has 8 turns with a significant downhill section and climb into the finish that strings the field out and pops riders off the back on the first lap. The weather was brisk and the wind pretty strong but the sun was out which made for relatively comfortable racing conditions. Team Kenda Tire was sitting in 3rd for the team GC less than 20sec ahead of Advil-Chapstick so it was important for us to keep at least 3 of our riders in the main group if we were to successfully defend our position.

Racing got underway and as expected, the field pretty much blew apart within the first few laps with a main group forming and a lot of smaller splinter bunches strung out along the course. There were a few small attacks during the 60min race but everything was reeled back in and the main group was together for the final sprint which was won by Colavita-Sutter Home. Kristin, Anne and Kat were with the front group so we were looking great. In the end, we were able to secure our 3rd place finish in the team overall and actually grew the time advantage we had over Advil-Chapstick.

I know, everyone's asking, "so how did you do?" Well......I actually relinquished my number to the officials before we started. I'll have to keep this as nondescript as possible so as not to gross out the squeamish people. Unfortunately the combination of three days of hard racing and having to wear a new chamois (we just got our uniform shorts) that my body was not used to left me physically unable to sit on my saddle on Sunday morning. I felt great and was ready to go but (without being overly graphic) my saddle area was in sorry shape. So I sat on the corner at turn 5 with a radio to keep my teammates informed as things developed in the race and offered encouragement as the race progressed.

I was painfully torn and upset at the prospect of having to sit out the last day when I was feeling great and after such a strong finish on Saturday. I wanted so badly to support my team and help secure our position in the team GC. After a conversation with a physician, some hard thought and a even few tears I rationalized it this way: we have another weekend of hard racing ahead that I want to be 100% for - I owe it to the team and to myself to be completely healthy and ready to do my job. I'm comfortable with the choice I made and my teammates supported me completely.

So we'll be bike gyspsies for a few days between here and Russellville where we'll be doing the Tour of Arkansas. I'm looking forward to some more excellent race performances but also the fun and adventures we'll have along the way. I'll try to post when I can - not sure what the wireless access situation is going to be like as we move around.

Thanks so much for reading and for your comments - I appreciate it!