Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Arkansas Road Trip!!

Before I jump into the pre-trip diatribe I want to send some good, positive energy in the general direction of my teammate Kris Keim who sustained a broken pelvis at Tour of the Gila last week - feel better soon, K2!!

This two stage race voyage should prove to be quite an adventure - Kristin and I are rolling out Wednesday morning headed toward Fayetteville, AR and the Joe Martin Stage Race May 8-11 (4 stages). Fayetteville - where everything is all about hogs (or is it hawgs?). I've done this race in the past without good result - there's a lot of climbing and we've firmly established that I am gravity challenged, so this should be interesting. That said, I am riding decently right now so I am cautiously optimistic about my chances for some good finishes. After Joe Martin we'll head over to Russellville for Tour of Arkansas and some more quality climbing opportunities May 17-18 (3 stages). We've assembled a strong team for both events so we're hoping for some top finishes and a little respect.

I'll attempt to blog a bit from the road - no idea what kind of internet access I'm going to have in Arkansas. Call me a pessimist but the prospect of having regular, easy access to high-speed wi-fi in Arkansas isn't looking promising. I imagine, though, that we'll have plenty of opportunities to eat some killer barbecue (ugh...my supremely delicate gut is spasming at the mere thought) and visit Wal-Mart. I'll get a fair amount of reading done, a little work, and hopefully lots of sleep. Wish me luck in avoiding my teammates relentless attempts to feed me cookies.

I'll miss everyone back home - some more than others, and you know who you are :) - but I hope to have some good stories to share upon my return. I'll be around for a few days and then off to Traverse City, MI for Tour de Leelanau (a UCI race!!) over Memorial Day weekend. Beyond that it's looking like a little break from travel before heading to Minnesota for another stage race and then to Louisville for Masters Road Nationals in June.

Thanks for reading - and yes, the Chicago Police Department is still very much ON NOTICE for it's numerous bike related ordinance transgressions...more on that when I get home.