Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Tour of Arkansas - Part 2

Ah yes, the long strange trip continued on Sunday with a 60min criterium in downtown Van Buren, about 15min from Ft. Smith. We arrived early (after a 20min buzz through the slowest Starbucks on the planet) and the temps were already in the upper 70s with the requisite Arkansas humidity. At last we were able to review the results from yesterday's TT which enabled us to formulate a plan to keep our top GC riders protected and wear down Metro VW. Marion, Carolyn, Samantha and Sally made the trip down from Fayetteville to cheer for us.

The course was .6mi long, entirely flat with 6 turns, a chicane on the back stretch and a few gnarly pavement spots - a course that suits me perfectly. I was feeling good during warm up and was ready to go hard from the start. I'd shaken my brain with a killer warm-up playlist and was totally focused. I'll post the playlist later.

Things started off pedestrian enough with Kat in a small early break that was brought back in. At about 15min in I sprinted for a prime and stayed away for a while until getting brought back in by Metro VW (apparently they felt I was a threat). It was at that point that a strong attack went away with Metro VW and Kristin that we were content to let go. I pretty much sat on for the remainder of the race and scored another easy prime while allowing the break to rejoin the field. Andrea was still in the group too, so I was prepared to do whatever I could to provide a strong leadout for she and Kristin.

Coming through the final turn, Kristin was on my wheel. I was ready to take her up the left side to the line when a Metro VW rider took a wide line through the turn that caused us to hesitate in order to avoid a wreck. That instantaneous hesitation was enough to get Metro VW across the line first ahead of Kristin.

I'm not one to ever examine results all that closely so I'm sorry to admit that I don't know where everyone eventually finished. Suffice to say that we had a strong team showing that allowed us to take 3 of 5 podium positions for the overall. Kristen in 2nd, Andrea in 3rd and me in 4th. I had no idea that I'd actually made the podium and was in a t-shirt and shorts when the ceremony started. I had to run back over to the car, get into kit and sprint back over to the podium - I just made it! I know there were a bunch of pictures being snapped so if I come across one, I'll be sure to post.

After collecting our primes and prize money we headed back to the Smith's in Fayetteville to eat, shower and drop Anne at the airport before starting the drive home. It was at some point before we left that I found out about the stellar performances by Josh, Ted and Mike at the Double Bong 40K TT. For them, it was a double double bong. For some reason one 40K in a day is just not enough so they do two. Well done, guys - makes my legs ache just thinking about it.

Up next: Tour de Leelanau in Traverse City, MI - a UCI race - on Sunday the 25th. For the first time in too many years I will not be heading to the Quad Cities area to race - a very WELCOME departure from the usual tiresome routine of Snake Alley, Melon City and Rock Island. I might race locally on Memorial Day, maybe not. Depends on how the legs feel.

I'm thinking that eventually there will be a Part 3 post that will include the warm-up playlist and some general observations about the trip and the ride home. I did actually manage to read two books but didn't have time to do much else with all the racing and travel. Here's a teaser story from the trip home:

Kristin and I are somewhere in BFE Missouri and come up on a car that probably hasn't been washed.....ever. In the car are two 'interesting' looking large fellows with lots of facial hair (ick) and tattoos. Written in soap on the back window? "I wish my wife was this dirty." Nice.