Saturday, July 19, 2008

A Change to the Blog

It's been about a year now and I have to admit that until just recently, posting on this blog has been a lot of fun. It has enabled me to keep my friends and family informed of what I am up to since I sometimes have difficulty keeping up with everyone given my commitments to personal endeavors and my work (yes, I have a real job). I've written before about how this blog is public domain and therefore open to the scrutiny of anyone who chooses to look at it - both a good and bad thing. The contents of this blog are my personal opinions, accounts, observations and recollections of things from my vantage point. Others are bound to have their own opinions, personal accounts, observations and recollections - that's how it should be and very much how the world works. If we all thought the same about everything what would be the point?

Of late I have had the unfortunate occasion to field a number of unsolicited, bitter and shallow comments from individuals shielded by the anonymity of an internet screen name. I am sorry that those individuals feel the need to snipe and pass judgment - and I hope they can understand that comments of that nature are not welcome here and probably not on anyone else's blog either. As I said above, we are all entitled to our opinions - and very often, depending on individual vantage point, opinions and accounts differ. That does not infer dishonesty or guilt - it's a basic difference of opinion, and we are all entitled to have our own opinion.

While I've not made a permanent decision yet, it is possible that I will be restricting access to the blog - I will have to maintain a list of 'invited' viewers and only those who are invited will be able to read and comment. It's unfortunate that it's come to this, but I feel as though I don't have any recourse at this point. I'm sorry that a few can ruin the fun for many. This is a decision that I have arrived at after a lot of thought and consideration and while my decision is not yet set in stone, I am anticipating that this change will happen soon and adequate notice will be provided to that end.

As always, thank you for reading and sharing in what has been something I've rather enjoyed up to this point.