Monday, July 21, 2008

Superweek Evanston Recap

Photo compliments of Luke Seemann, chicagobikeracing.com

Superweek was kind of super-weak for me this year. I've been having an issue with my ear that's kept me dizzy and nauseous much of the time so I only did a couple of the 7 races for P1/2/3 women. During the week I also managed a successful night at the velodrome but I'm still not feeling like myself. The criterium in Evanston is one that I was looking forward to for weeks - the course suits me and the crowds are always fantastic. We had perfect weather and a strong group representing for Team Kenda Tire - Kristin, Anne, Amy, Krystal, Catherine and myself.

There had been numerous crashes in the races held before ours so I decided to pretty much sit near the front as much as I could to minimize the possibility of being caught up in a wreck. From my vantage point things were fast but safe - I only had someone's shift lever shoved into my ass once, so that's pretty good. As for what was going on behind me, I can't say. There were a fair number of attacks throughout the 35 lap race but nothing stuck very long. I tested my legs early when I got off the front for a short time (maybe a lap) with a rider wearing Rock Racing kit and took a cash prime, after which we sat up and were assimilated into the field. Kristin, Catherine, Krystal, Anne and I did a fair amount of work along with the other teams to keep things together which meant it was going to be a field sprint at the end.

As the laps were winding down the sprinters were moving forward so I moved with them and found myself in the unenviable first position coming out of the last turn - which meant I got stuck leading out the final sprint. That's not always a bad thing because I'm pretty good from about 250m but the sprint in Evanston is longer than that, so as I topped out approaching the line I was passed by what turned out to be first through fourth place. I hung on for fifth and I believe I had 3 teammates in the top 15 - not completely sure on that as I haven't seen final results yet.

final sprint (me with head down after leading everyone out...D'OH!!)
photo compliments of Luke Seemann

In retrospect, things would certainly have been different if I'd come out of the last turn sitting maybe 3rd or 4th but it doesn't really matter. We had a strong team showing, I was feeling good and my legs are (somehow) fantastic right now. Can't wait for the Chicago Criterium next weekend....Thanks to all my friends who were there shouting and cheering - I did indeed hear you all and I totally appreciate it. In fact I was teased in the group about it - too funny!

What I've read lately: Night by Elie Wiesel. Wow. Magical Thinking (very funny) by Augusten Burroughs (author of Running with Scissors and Dry). The Sorrows of Empire by Chalmers Johnson - brilliant. What I'm reading now: Clapton, the autobiography.

What I'm listening to: the most recent R.E.M. release titled Accelerate. The entire cd is excellent but the best cuts are Living Well's the Best Revenge and Supernatural Superserious.