Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Easy Miles - Amazing Day

The plan for today was a 3hr steady, low key cruise down the shore to Del Mar then inland for a while before heading back north and west to Encinitas. Interestingly enough, we encoutered a fair amount of wind - I didn't know there was wind anywhere else but at home! Because we were sharing the work and riding easy, my nose stayed out of the wind quite nicely today.
Chicago's wind tends to be somewhat ubiquitous - headwind on the way out, headwind along the way, headwind on the way home - you get it. I think I even have a headwind on the rollers, indoors. My plan at home is usually to find a good draft and stay protected while pulling through here and there. Typically no one complains about my wheelsucking. Well, at least they don't say anything about it anyway. For the record, I do feel guilty about it.
There was a fair amount of "up" today but not anything severe and since we kept things low-key my legs never felt tired. Of course I'd be remiss not to mention the good amount of descending we got to do - fast and fun - always a rush. It's another day of perfect blue skies and temps in the 60s - just can't beat it. I didn't whine a single time.
I keep checking in with everyone back home and really - I'm so sorry to hear it's so nasty there. The best way to look at it - each day that passes is one more day closer to spring. Then again, do we have spring in Chicago? Either way, it can only get better so hang in there. I'll be home soon enough to join the misery. But now, I have to take a nap....