Friday, January 25, 2008

Golf, Sun and FLOYD LANDIS!!

Amy, Lee, Kat, me, Jessi and Kristin at Torrey Pines
There are a few words in the English language that I use frequently - anyone who knows me is surely familiar with my favorites... Then there are words that I reserve for use only when the situation truly warrants it. Perfect is one of the words that I use infrequently and only when I truly mean it. Today's ride was, in almost every possible way, perfect. The plan was for a few hours of pretty steady riding down the Pacific coast to LaJolla then back up to Encinitas. There were a few sections of decent "up" to tackle (with corresponding "down") and some fantastic scenery to behold. We all headed out together (except for poor Molly who's sick in bed) and those of us who wanted more miles split and continued after a brief stop at Torrey Pines for some photos. The temp was probably in the mid 60s and the most amazing cloudless blue sky made for some excellent riding conditions today. Lori, Kristin, Lee, Kat and I stuck together and went longer.

The Buick Invitational is being played at this moment at Torrey Pines so we cruised by the golf course and actually saw Madison, WI native Jerry Kelly's group heading up the fairway toward the green - that was very cool. Talk about some GREEN grass! For those of you who are not aware, I LOVE golf. Don't play the game but it just fascinates me. Once summer hits I typically crash in front of the tv after the morning ride and just watch golf all afternoon.



Anyway, about 2mi from the house we were stopped at a traffic light and a group of guys wearing dark blue kits was stopped ahead of us, in front of a few cars. They looked like a bunch of super-fit masters racers (the best kind of racers, in my opinion). In the back of the group was a guy wearing all black with no helmet. It struck me, "that looks like Floyd,"and I thought, "no way - can't be." Then he turned around and yep - it was him!! They pulled off at the corner and we exchanged waves then we contemplated turning around. In the end we chose instead to continue back home or to the coffee shop.



The plan for tomorrow is a long group ride with some locals. I fear that it might just turn into a hammerfest but that's okay. It's my last chance to ride here before heading back home and I've been saving my best legs so I'm ready to hang in and suffer a bit.



Thanks for reading - I need to go eat a cookie and have a pedicure after a perfect day on the bike.