Monday, December 15, 2008

6ix

Just looked out the front window and I swear this guy was out there.

Uh yeah - that's the outdoor temp (not the windchill which is surely colder) as I contemplate rolling out this morning for work. Do I drive? Do I ride? I'm SO CONFLICTED. I still have a little time before making the final decision. Maybe I'll ride and bring cab fare for the way home, just in case. This might be beyond an HTFU situation. It's a 30min trip each way. Ugh.

The plan for class today is warm up followed by some tasty threshold/sub-threshold work. Should be great fun. Here's the soundtrack:

Not Enough Time - INXS
Poundcake - Van Halen
Black Math - The White Stripes
Twilight Zone - Golden Earring
The Impression that I Get - Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Isn't She Lovely? - Me First and the Gimme Gimmes
Are You Gonna Be My Girl? - Jet
My Kind of Girl - The 45s
Elderly Woman Behind the Counter... - PJ
Just Like Heaven - The Cure
Read My Mind - The Killers
The Wind Cries Mary - Jimi Hendrix

Congrats to Wayne Simon (Mr. Pink) on his podium finish at Masters 'Cross Nationals. Shout outs are also in order to fellow Verdigrisians Tim, Chris, Scott and David for fine performances at nationals - way to go guys! June Upshaw deserves recognition for taking the overall title in the Chicago Cross Cup. June had a solid season with consistent finishes - she earned the title and my hat is off to her. Well done, Junebug! Not to be overlooked was Mike Wakeley's successful cross season and respectable showing at nationals. Wakes is an expert mechanic, strong technical rider and all around cool guy - dude, you're one of my favorites. I'll be looking for you on the TT circuit in 2009!

What I'm reading at the moment: 'Next Man Up' by John Feinstein. It's a total-access, in-depth insider account of the Baltimore Ravens' 2004 season. I just finished 'Fates Worse than Death' by Kurt Vonnegut - humorous, insightful and thought-provoking stuff.

That's all for now - I have to begin layering for my bitter cold journey to the Loop...

UPDATE: I caved after speaking with some voices of reason and decided to drive only to find my garage doors frozen shut. That necessitated a CTA blue line commute - something just shy of a living-hell experience....Chicago winter just sucks.