Friday, December 19, 2008

White Stuff

The Sears Tower Lobby Christmas Tree
Chicago was yet again hammered with overnight snow which necessitated a morning commute on my beloved CTA blue line. Cross-country skiing down Milwaukee Ave. crossed my mind but I wimped out. I have a 5 block walk from the Loop's Jackson Boulevard stop over to the gym which takes me past the Sears Tower and a few other buildings of note. I snapped the above pic while waiting to cross Wacker Drive - nice pile of snow that guy's standing next to, eh? How touristy of me.

Looking North on the Jackson Blvd. bridge over the Chicago River. The light in the center is Boeing World HQ
I was hoping that we'd have a good turnout for early class this morning and we did - everyone worked hard and was very focused. It was definitely a morning where just getting out of bed was a task - as a good friend reminded me the other day, 'champions do it when they don't want to' so that was the underlying theme for class today.

A very cool thing happened on the way home - I saw the prez-elect's motorcade. The federal building where all the transition activity is occurring and where BO keeps an office is on Jackson Blvd. US Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald's office is also somewhere around there but unfortunately I've not had the occasion to see him...major bummer. I couldn't snap a pic because the secret service or some such clandestine service agent would probably have ended up taking my phone but it was a pretty cool thing to see.

It's time to complete my second round of morning coffee and then head out to finish clearing the snow around my place. Exciting news: the bike room will be welcoming a new tenant next week - I'll post photos when the Cervelo arrives. Until then, I'll leave you with a thought shared via email this morning:

Illinois - where our governors make our license plates.