Sunday, December 28, 2008

(American) Football Rules!

Reason #1 why football on tv rules: Howie Long. 'nuff said.

Happy New Year and stuff! The past week or so I've spent a fair amount of time working, riding or on the couch watching football - college, pro, whatever's on - and not doing much else I'd consider productive. Some killer respiratory bug thing has been kicking my butt so the couch has pretty much been my destination of choice after work and saddle time are over for the day. I've made some observations that I'm going to share with y'all about football on tv:

The Top 10:
1. Howie Long is a stud. Nothing more to say on that one and I don't think there are many guys out there who will disagree with that assessment. Really, man-love is okay in this situation.
2. The SUNY Buffalo Bulls did something amazing this year in getting to the International Bowl even though they lost - and the story of the 1958 team that refused to play in that year's Tangerine Bowl received much deserved attention.
3. Football is one FAST game - even the really fat guys are fast which brings me to observation number 4:
4. Some of those really fat guys should not be allowed to wear white pants in public. Or anywhere else for that matter. Indeed....
5. The really elite receivers are tremendous athletes - speed, soft hands, unbelievable body control, balance and awareness all while this/close to getting hit really hard which brings me to observation number 6:
6. Holy crap those guys hit each other HARD. No wonder why they can only play once a week. I used to date this loser football player a long time ago and I remember him telling me that getting hit or (better yet) popping some other poor guy really hard "makes you feel alive." I didn't totally get it at the time but I certainly do now. It must be kind of like doing all out, "I'd rather be dead oh my god I taste blood" intervals on the bike. I get it.
7. Many of the players are just plain humongous people - a tight end who's 6'6" and weighs 285? Yeah, that's a lot of powerful humanity to tackle, isn't it? The again, there's the 5'6" 185lb running back who busts through the line and runs 60+ yards for a TD. Gotta respect that. And let's not overlook the 40 something kicker who nails a 50 yard field goal to send the game into OT.
8. The vast majority of commercials are for big manly-man trucks, fast food, financial services and beer. Big surprise there.
9. Football is vastly more entertaining in the freezing coldness with some killer wind and precipitation to make things more interesting. Sunny and 80 degrees with a light breeze from the south is best for golf (observations about which I will share in a subsequent post).
10. WTF are the cheerleaders really doing out there anyway? Most of them don't get paid so what's the point? Maybe they get to keep the uniform and tax deduct the boob job. Oh, I'm sorry, they're all attorneys, accountants, CEOs and physicians who are moonlighting. I get it now.

That's about all for now - not a whole lot going on but for lots of cold weather riding and work.