Monday, May 25, 2009

ABD Masters #3 - Old? My A$$!!

Through turn 1 Photo: R. Delgado

Why do I like to race with the Masters men?

* Lots of them are really good. Like state, national and world champion good. It always helps to race with faster company - it makes you better, and I want to be better.

* There's no drama (well, not really). They all realize that while dedication and commitment are a huge part of doing well, they don't lose sight of the fact this this is supposed to be fun.

* They are all fiercely competitive yet respectful of each other both on and off the bike.

* They're smart, talented, experienced racers - I always take something positive away from racing with them.

* They all call themselves 'old' but I like to think of them as 'of fine vintage' because many of them are stronger than guys who are much younger. How does the saying go? '50 is the new 30?' Indeed.

Me and Andy Kerr - Turn 1 Photo: R. Delgado

So we lined up for 50min +3 laps of fun in Wood Dale today. The course was a combination of Saturday and Sunday's courses - 1.6mi long and essentially flat with a small rise on the back side and another just after the start/finish. There was a fair amount of wind to contend with but temps were comfortable and the pavement was dry. I had a good warm up and was representing for PACT with Jim Host and Mike Jones.
Mike, off the front again Photo: K. Kerr

We'd done a fair amount of standing/rolling around before start time so I was compelled to light things up a little from the gun - just to get my legs open again. Not too long after that the attacking and counter attacking started with Mike eventually getting away by himself - early. Jim moved to the front and controlled the tempo well, pulling things in and sitting on surges. I tried my best to help him while Mike built a sizable lead. There was a lot of firepower in the field but I know a lot of those guys were tired from two days of racing (all of them doing multiple races each day) so while things got pretty hot from time to time, it was pretty manageable. I even scored a prime (thanks, guys - they just let me go).

My favorite quote of the day? Tom Doughty, making an observation as Fabio Orlandi attacks and opens a sizable gap, 'That's not good...'

Before it was over a few guys had taken late flyers off the front (including Jim) and stayed somewhere in the abyss between Mike and the field, all finishing ahead of the field sprint. I managed to finish a respectable 10th, same as Saturday. When you're racing with the likes of Tom Doughty, Wayne Simon, Stuart Grinnell, Jim Host, Fabio Orlandi, Andy Kerr and Bob Downs (oh, and Mike) I think that's a decent finish. I'm pleased with my effort and also with my file from the race - my best 1min and 5min power to date. Ever. No way I could have done that in a women's field.

Me and Jim - in the middle during a slow period Photo: K. Kerr

I want to thank all of the Masters men who welcome my presence on the start line - they encourage me when it's obvious that I am suffering, they respect me on and off the bike and can appreciate that I have talent enough to race with them. Thank you for helping to make racing fun and positive for me. I also need to give a shout out to Mike who a year ago sustained very serious injuries in a racing wreck - you work harder on the bike than anyone I know. You earn and deserve all good things that come to you.

Up next, the Bong and a Half 30K TT. This whole crit thing was a nice change from the steady grind of time trialing but I'm ready to get back on the Cervelo - Masters Nats is about a month away and I have a big goal sitting out there to accomplish.