Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Kenosha Criterium Recap

The winning break in the 40+ masters race

I was able to sleep in Sunday morning before heading up to Kenosha for some criterium racing with the guys - we didn't start until 12:15. I spent some time in the back yard sipping tea and enjoying the morning sun before heading out mid-morning - that was nice.

I lined up with the 50+ masters field for a 45min race on a pretty innocuous flat course - three turns, one of which was a nice downwind sweeper that I could take really fast. Things started off well enough. After a couple small attacks Mike took off and got a gap at about 10min in. He stayed out there for 30min as I worked the front, keeping bridge and catch attempts under control as much as possible. We ended up catching him with 4 laps to go, so I put in a weak attack and was promptly hauled back in. Mike tried again and was also brought back. With two laps remaining I decided to jump and actually try to stay away - no one responded!! I got a huge gap and was able to carry it all the way to the line. It was a very cool win!

I watched the 40+ race - Dan, Ansgar and Mike were representing for PACT/Dishnetwork. Within a few laps Mike managed to get off the front with two other guys and built a gap that held at 40sec for the rest of the race. Dan, Ansgar and one other rider formed a chase group but weren't able to catch the break. In the end, Mike was second, Dan fourth and I believe Ansgar took fifth. I snapped a couple pictures with my lame ass camera phone but was only able to get one good shot - that of the break at the top of this post.

That's all for now - thanks for reading. Up this weekend is a 2 person team TT on Saturday. I'm doing two rides - one with National TT Champ Leigh Thompson and the other with Brian Akers, an incredibly strong time trialist and really nice guy. I'm looking forward to it!