Friday, May 15, 2009

NBV Opening Night

I have to admit that I have not been feeling the track love for a long time - getting wrecked by the cat 3 men's field last season was the final nail in the coffin of my 2008 mass start track season. I did go on to do some individual pursuit stuff last season but I was so traumatized by a crash at +30mph that it was hard to get my head around the idea of doing it again. So I did it anyway.

Last night was the first evening of racing at Northbrook Velodrome so with an ample amount of anxiety, a nervous head and tired legs leftover from a Tuesday track workout, I went with an open mind hoping to just have some fun. The women's field was small - 4 of us and after the first 10 lap scratch race (which I won) I spent the rest of the night bouncing around with the men in the Cat 3, 40+ masters and P1/2 races. Obviously I wasn't close to a respectable finish but I did have fun and got some good top end work out of it all. In doing a lot of TTs I've lost a lot of my sprint and speed but this is just what I need to get my legs fast again - I'm glad that I went.

PACT/Dishnetwork was well represented - Jim, Ted, Dan, Mike and Andy put on an impressive display with aggressive racing and some top placings. Nice job guys - we had a good team night.

Up next, maybe a crit tomorrow and two 20K time trials on Sunday. I've just started 'The Match' by Mark Frost - it's a golf book and pretty fascinating so far.

In the event I get my hands on any photos from the track, I'll be sure to post them.