Thursday, May 21, 2009

Barstow 20K TT Double - Perfect

Barstow is situated near the Illinois/Iowa border and provides the perfect locale for a flat, fast 20K course. I abstained from racing Monsters the day before because I wanted very badly to break the course record in Barstow on fresh legs. The weather conditions were essentially perfect - winds were 6mph, no clouds and tons of sun with temps getting into the low 60s after a chilly morning. I knew I could break the record if I had a good ride - the course is completely flat, out and back with a few curves. The race director was kind enough to mark the 1K and 5K points on the way out and back - that helped my head a ton.

Fortunately I was assigned a start time a minute behind MetLifeGuy - having him behind me is a major mindf*ck because it's not a matter of IF he will pass me, just a matter of WHEN. Starting a minute behind him is a good place for me - I could see him on the way back after the turnaround. For some reason, that helps my focus.

I ended up doing two 20Ks and both were good enough to break the course record - the first on by 1:08 and the second by roughly half a minute. It was a good day for PACT/Dishnetwork - Mike also won his category and put up one of the fastest times on the day, well done! Not to be overlooked was a fine performance by Mike 'Wakes' Wakeley who WON THE CAT 4!! Nice job Mike!! Looks to me like you are getting the hang of this time trial thing.

Up next - a Memorial Day Weekend at home for the first time in at least 10 years. What ever will I do???