Sunday, July 26, 2009

Chicago Criterium Recap

Turn One
Photo courtesy of Gavin Gould

I've been a bad blogger lately - I meant to provide an entire recap of last weekend's RR and TT and just never really had time to sit down and type. Today was the Chicago Criterium - the short story is that I finished 8th. I'm pleased with the result mostly because I was nearly wrecked going into turn 3 and lost a bunch of position trying to get back up to speed. Had I been able to hold the position I had at that time - who knows what could have been....

I'll do a more thorough post later and hopefully will have some good photos to share. Right now it's time to slip into the Skinz and put my feet up...

UPDATE:
Now that I've had a chance to sleep on and mull over the events of yesterday, here's my summary of how things went down:

It was nice to have a later start - since I typically suck in the morning a 1:00pm start time was good for me. Being able to ride to the race is a big bonus - no parking hassles and no gear to drag along, just show up and race. I was a little bummed when I retrieved my numbers and saw that the field was not huge - only about 20 were signed up at that time and on the line there couldn't have been more than 40. A couple of teams had decent representation which was in my favor - having no teammates means that I can be more selective about what I want to cover or stay out of during the race.

Things were fairly aggressive from early on and I managed to be part of a couple small breaks though it was obvious with the wind and long front straight that most everything was going to get hauled in eventually. Things were pretty smooth for the most part - my legs felt good and I was able to be pretty much wherever I wanted to be. I wasn't so keen on the idea of sprinting for primes and chose to stay near the front but not contest any of them in favor of trying for a strong finish.

I had good position with 2 laps to go and was able to hold onto it. Unfortunately the speed wasn't really fast enough (hello!! where was the leadout train for the biggest team there?!?!) so things got a little bunched up going into turn 3 on the last lap. I had to grab a lot of brake to avoid a potential wreck coming over from the left and lost some position because of it. No one went down but things got shuffled so going over the hump into turn 4 I had to grind up the bumpy right side if I was going to have a prayer in the sprint. I learned a lesson last year in turn 4 - don't be on the inside so I stayed outside and had a much more open line to the finish. I didn't have ideal position for the sprint but at least I wasn't stuck in the back.

As the sprint unfolded things began to push over from my left in the form of HUB Racing so as I adjusted by moving right I started to feel Gina's (Juice Plus) arm. We managed to not get tangled up but Gina lost some position. She's a very talented criterium racer and I respect her a great deal - I really couldn't do anything other than hold my line and hope we separated, which we did but unfortunately it cost her a better finish.

PACT/Dishnetwork was well represented in the men's races too - I don't know how everyone did but it was great to see my teammates, especially Jim who's dealing with an elbow injury and can't race right now. Not to be overlooked were numerous friends who came by to watch and cheer - thank you for being there. It turned out to be a really great day.

Next up is a short time trial on Saturday and maybe Elk Grove on Sunday - depends on how I'm feeling. I don't particularly like the course and may just opt to hang out and do the local group ride.

Thanks for reading - if I come across any good photos from today I'll be sure to post them.