Wednesday, July 1, 2009

US Masters Nationals Time Trial

Heading out of the start house on my ride. photo: M. Wakeley

This post will be updated when I get home - I'm pirating my host's computer and don't have photo upload capability or full access to the applications I need to publish a thorough post. The short story is that I managed to score a silver medal in the time trial at US Masters Nationals in Louisville, KY today. I was second to Laura Igoe, a pro duathlete who is mercifully moving to the 40-44 age category next season. She had a great ride - my congratulations on her win. Things were a little crazy - start times were delayed two hours for course closure problems. That was fine for me - the later I ride, the better I perform.

A quick rundown of other local talent down here for the fun (that I can recall currently):

Wayne Simon 3rd - 50-54 men
Tom Doughty 2nd - 55-59 men
Leigh Thompson 4th - 45-49 women
Mark Swartzendruber - 8th 45-49 men

There are other athletes here but due to my need to warm down, eat, recover and relax I wasn't able to memorize everyone's finishes. Reed Oliff and Brian Akers (with donuts!!) are here representing ALLVOI/WDT and Mike Wakeley (my travel companion) is here riding for Blue Competition Cycles.

I have to send a huge thank you to my training companions - guys, it is the suffering I endure in your company and your patient, supportive encouragement that have helped me do this. You provide me with opportunities to learn and improve both on and off the bike every day - thanks for that, I appreciate it.

I've had a lot of down time and have been able to start 'American Lion' by John Meacham. So far it is fantastic. Thanks for reading - I'll be sure to update things with photos and full time trial and criterium reports when I return home.