Saturday, July 4, 2009

US Masters Nationals - Criterium

My post-race binge...Dr. Pepper and a Moon Pie


Wakes - parked on the top of the FJ with my TT bike watching the action at Churchill Downs. He made the Louisville newspaper! For the record, he is by far the very best race-support/mechanic dude a girl could ever ask for! Thanks so much - you made my week SO much easier!


The quick short version - I'll update with photos and a better summary later on - I scored bronze in the criterium at Nationals. It was a short, flat, four corner course located in the infield of Churchill Downs. On a day where I was feeling completely useless I somehow managed to be part of the 3 rider break that at one point held a one minute advantage over the field. My break companions were current Jazz Apple salary-earning professional Dotsie Bausch and Leslie Jennings from DC - based Cycle Life.

UPDATE: To complete the post....

I knew during my warm up that it was not going to be a great day. My legs were still cooked from the time trial so I decided that I'd just be smart, watch strong riders and try to make the break. There were a few attacks during the first 15 laps but things pretty much stayed together until Dotsie unleashed an attack through the start finish that appeared good enough to stick. I went with it and within about 3/4 of a lap we were away - for the rest of the race. It was everything I could do to just take my pulls and sit on. At one point I was even shelled for about 1/2 a lap but I managed to get back on and stick to the end. At sprint time I hesitated ever so slightly and missed my chance - I wasn't very confident and paid for it, though ended up a respectable third. If I'd been feeling better I'm sure I could've finished higher but my goal was to get on the podium, so it was a successful day.

Huge thanks to Brian Akers and Reed Oliff who rode 2.5hr over to watch and cheer - it meant so much to hear your voices while I suffered like a dog and died a thousand deaths out there. Also - thanks to Nicki who came out to spectate and let me clean up at her place for the ride home. Speaking of the ride home....it never quite goes smoothly, does it? We got stuck in some heinous I-65 traffic (so I played animal cracker games...) then I hit the CF of the Dan Ryan/Kennedy/I-55 snafu. Indeed.

I'm happy to be home - it was a good trip. Friday was a super easy ride with MetLifeGuy on the lakefront path and post-ride coffee. My legs were dead but the sun was up and I was home with two medals from Nationals - it's hard to beat that!