Thursday, July 30, 2009

Last Week at the Track and Some Tunes


Me, before the Chariot photo: M. Ferren


HAPPY BIRTHDAY LITTLE BRO!!
I totally forgot to post about what happened at the velodrome last week. It was a rainy start and things got rolling late for the keirin state championship. For those of you who don't know what a keirin is: 5 lap race paced by the moto for 4 laps, speeding up every lap until the 5th lap - the moto pulls off and it's all an all out sprint to the finish. The fields were small - surely a result of the foul weather but a few of us showed up and when the track finally dried it turned out to be pretty nice, but for the fact that it was cold and damp after sundown.

Keirin start (I'm in the middle) photo: M. Ferren

All the scheduled races were shortened - we only did a 5 lap scratch race and then a Chariot (a one lap held start - first to cross the line wins) but that was quite okay. I was cold and quickly losing the love. It turned out that I won all three events that evening and am the Keirin champion - probably something I could not have done if a full field had shown up, so it was a worthwhile trip to the track for me!

I haven't posted a playlist for a while so here's what we're doing at noon today:

warm up followed by this, twice (with a 3min break between):

2min VO2 (accelerate last 20sec)
2min EZ
2min VO2 (accelerate last 20sec)
2min EZ
5min LT

Mary Jane's Last Dance - Tom Petty
The Shock of the Lightning - Oasis
Shadowplay - The Killers
Are You Gonna Be My Girl? - JET
God Put a Smile Upon Your Face - Coldplay
Last one to Die - Rancid
Forever Yellow Skies - The Cranberries
Everlong - Foo Fighters
rearviewmirror - PJ
Arizona - Kings of Leon

At this moment I am without something to read!! I finished 'American Lion' - it was outstanding. Not sure what I'll start next...we'll see what strikes me when I visit the used bookstore.