Sunday, October 11, 2009

Bar B 'Cross at Dan Ryan Woods

I'm entering this 'cross season with no expectation but to have fun. I've heard this part of the year likened to golf's 'silly season' which is exactly what I am trying to make of this. I did a relatively serious 'cross season 2 years ago that sort of burned me out on the whole dirt/mud/cold thing - lots of travel and expense for not a whole lot of fun. Last year I did maybe three races and this year, who knows? I'm planning to do some more of the Chicago 'Cross Cup but probably not anything beyond that and as soon as the snow flies, my bike changes from race rig to dedicated commuter.

Today's race at Dan Ryan Woods on the South Side was VERY cool - great course and even though it was disgustingly cold to start, things warmed up to a balmy 40 degrees at go time. I rolled to the venue early with MetLifeGuy in order to get in some pre-race recon laps. Good thing - there was a fair amount of twisty stuff, a gnarly run up, a very cool off-camber downhill stretch and some barriers on a course where laps ended up taking about 8min. I wasn't quite sure how I was feeling - hating the freezing coldness for sure but also relatively mellow. My warm up was pretty useless and I toed the line essentially cold for the start after watching Mike take 2nd in the 50+ masters race (nice job Mike!!).

First, the details for those of you who think this is important: Gearing-wise my bike had a 40t single front ring and 12/27 cassette. I was running about 30psi front and rear in 32mm Challenge Griffo tubulars. This was ideal for me, weighing in at about 118 currently, maybe 123 fully dressed in 'cross gear. The tires hooked up and carved everything perfectly through all the loose stuff, the small amount of sticky mud and the off-camber. The grass was wet early on but things dried out nicely as the course was ridden on and the sun (yes, the sun!!) came out.

We got off the line in a hurry and I was able to manage 2nd wheel behind Sam Schneider (Team Type 1) by the time we hit the run up. Things got sort of backed up and the two of us emerged with a small gap that we kept adding to for the first 3 laps. At the top of the run-up on lap 4 I wasn't able to clip in - my toe spikes were caked with mud and grass. Sam knew it so she hit it hard and got a small gap into the off-camber while I struggled to clear my cleats and clip in. That was when I had a decision to make - chase or just let it go? By that point 3rd place was nowhere in sight and I was pretty content to roll the last lap and a half at a mellow pace so that's exactly what I did. Sam never got too far away but I wasn't feeling like a rock star at that point so first loser was just fine with me. For not really giving a rip how things ended up, I'm pleased with 2nd. Sam is a very talented young rider and it was great to have her down from Wisconsin for the race today.

Thanks to the Beverly Bike Vee-Pak guys for putting on a great event and laying out a solid course. I have to send a shout out to my old teammates at Verdigris on all their fine finishes today and also to the Pony Shop team - well done, everyone! Next up is Carpentersville. I've done this race lots of times and am very familiar with the various course layouts that have been employed in the past. Hopefully the temps will be a little warmer.

What I'm reading: 'Survivor' by Chuck Palahniuk. So far it's good. I made a trip to the used book store with Steve yesterday and acquired numerous little treasures. The queue is full of classics and some newer stuff that I'm excited to get through over the next few weeks.

One last shout out to Mike Wakeley who travelled to Cincinnati for a 3 race weekend - nice job racing with the heavy hitters! I miss having you around here on the local scene but I know how much you love investigating muddy stuff in other places...keep it up!