Sunday, October 4, 2009

Fall Fling #3 and #4

So we've arrived at the finish the 2009 road season - a low-stress weekend TT and circuit race to complete the second half of the ABD Fall Fling series. I was sitting tied for first overall in the series after a criterium win and 'second' in the road race (refer to previous post about Fall Fling #1 and 2). I knew I was going to have to win out in order to take the women's overall and at the same time, help my teammate Mike in the 50+ masters circuit race - no small task with the heavy hitters in the men's field.

Saturday's time trial was held in Maple Park and used the same 8mi out-and-back course as last season. I was feeling good after warming up but with Leigh Thompson and Jessi Prinner both racing I knew I would have to have a solid ride to regain the series lead. Jim was kind enough to schlep along his tent for warm-up (thanks Jim!) as the forecast included a threat of rain but fortunately things stayed dry though a bit cool. I had a really strong ride, ended up taking first place points on the day and moved into first overall for the series. The guys also did well with Mike finishing the day tied for first in the overall and Jim taking 5th. Of note was Tom's killer performance - the guy had the third fastest time on the day overall. Interesting here is the fact that he races 55+. Old-man-strength. Indeed.

I have to send a special shout out to Andy Kerr who rode over to say hello - it was so great to see you, Andy!! We've missed you!

Sunday's circuit race was held on a 1.8mi loop in West Chicago. My job for the day was to cover/be in any break that contained the guys Mike was in contention with for the overall and make sure he had good position for the sprint. After Tom and one other rider (who shall remain nameless for a good reason) got away early, Mike tried to further break things up with numerous hard attacks. I was dying but able to cover everything and unfortunately the two 'marked' guys (Fabio and Fleck) were there with every hit. After about 8 attempts it was clear that nothing would stick so the focus had to change and I had to start planning how I'd get Mike in optimal position for the sprint. Everything was going according to plan in the end - Mike was on my wheel out of the wind and the two primary 'targets' were pretty much pinned to the curb on the inside. It seemed perfect and then someone moved...Fabio and Fleck broke hard up the inside (too) early and Mike had to go - NOW. If that hadn't happened, who knows how it would've finished but I tend to think the outcome would have been different.

It was frustrating to have done everything I could possibly do to help Mike to a better finish but because bike racing is far from being 'a perfect world' things didn't quite turn out the way we would have liked. Congrats to Tom for taking the W and to Fabio and Jon for their fine finishes. I was able to cross the line ahead of the other women and so secured first overall. It was a great way to close out the 2009 road season. Special thanks to ABD and ABR - the racing was hard and fun, the courses were good and the entire 4 race series was well-organized and ran smoothly.

Cyclocross season is here! I've missed the first couple of Chicago Cross Cup races but that's okay - I'm just doing it for fun. I haven't checked the schedule so I have no idea what's up next but I'm pretty sure I'll be there.